So, he stayed quiet, and he stayed respectful. Making peace with demons was far more better than fighting them; to him anyways. And always.

††

The King's study was cold when the two entered it. It was far smaller than his office, which was home to the long wooden table and many meetings took place there. While in his study, it was his own personal place for minor conferences.

Arlo sat behind his desk while Kai took a seat on one of the hard leather ones right in front of it. Kai's eyes trained on his hands despite Arlo's penetrating gaze trying to lure them to connect with his.

The silence was a wave falling over them like a blanket. It was stuffy and uncomfortable and left an anxious feeling in their stomachs. While under the wave, everything after was unpredictable.

The clearing of the King's throat cut through the silence. "We're doing this professionally, okay?"

Kai nodded, still unable to meet Arlo's eyes.

"The death of one of my village people, I presume that was you?"

Even when he looked up, Kai didn't greet Arlo. "I didn't-"

Arlo quickly put a hand up, silencing him, "Professionally, no excuses. Zero of them. I just want to truth, Kai."

The truth. Kai looked back down at his hands and squeezed them. And after a long pause, he came clean.

"The villages are part of this kingdom, and this kingdom is like a home to me. I'd never intentionally hurt anyone..and Iris-" Kai sighed, he couldn't finish the sentence.

The King listened with a tilt of his head, a small but pitying smile wore his lips. He leaned forward and crossed his arms over his desk.

"Kai, I know you-well at least I believe I do-and what I believe is that you're a good guy. You have condolences for the civilian?"

Kai looked up and warily met Arlo's gaze. "Yes, sir."

"And your testimony is something I will trust?"

"Well, I hope it is, sir."

Arlo's smile grew before he shadowed it with a serious line of his lips. "Kai, I won't hurt you..and if I may be honest I don't think I can. But that doesn't mean you will be off the hook so easily."

"I understand, sir. I'll make peace with anything you give."

"Then, I am demoting you from being my son's body guard. You will serve as you were when you first arrived here."

Physical punishment might have been better.

Kai stared at the King, unsure if he understood him correctly.

"So, that means-"

"It means you won't be able to see Iris for a while. Not not ever again, just until I decide you can."

Yeah, something physical would've been better. Kai leaned back in his chair, baffled by the punishment. He didn't think something like this would affect him so much, but he was foolish to think that. It hurt. A lot; not being able to see Iris.