Chapter 8

I watched the rain trickle down the car window as i ran my eyes across the city skyline of Manhattan island. The surroundings felt harsh and intimidating with knife like buildings pointing upwards towards the sky disturbing the clouds. David sat in the front as usual directing the driver the best route and occasionally tapping in on his comm. I could feel his eyes hesitantly glancing at me in the car mirror but I wouldn't dare look up. He hurt me. He said he wouldn't leave my side and I suppose he hadn't but I still felt a sense of betrayal. I couldn't let him make me wallow in self pity I had to do well in this job even if I longed for his touch. My mind raced over the last few days when it seemed so innocent and easy back in the warm evening light of the Italian restaurant and feeling his soft brown curls in my hands. I had to stop thinking about this and just move on if he wanted to push me away that's fine.

It wasn't long till the car pulled up against the mirrored building. The clouds now giving way and the blue sky reflecting off its vast tiles, it towered to the sky  scraping along the clouds.

"Nothing like London hey" the driver said and I stifled a laugh and swallowed.

David got out of the car first and then swiftly opened the door. His face emotionless and back to the barrier. "This way" he said assertively. I got out quickly not making eye contact and began to walk confidently towards the door. Before I felt a strong grip swing me around

"I'm not your footman ma'am" he said bitterly pressing the bag against me his jaw slightly clenching .

"Oh sorry I didn't mean to leave it in the car" I said feeling blood rush to my cheeks gritting my teeth.

Why did he have to be so bitter and unnecessarily cruel . I pushed his grip off me and continued my way to the reception I gave the lady my ID and she showed me to a room next door.

Behind the clean white desk sat a young man. He was tall and fairly built, clean shaven with deep brown eyes. He looked up and smiled at me glancing up and down my face, before flicking his eyes to David and subtly glaring.

"Good morning ma'am " he said with a smooth American accent

"Hi nice to meet you" I said extending a hand  which he readily shook with a firm grip.

"Ah English you must be agent y/l/n"  he said leaving my hand still in his grip. And he smiled flashing his pearly white teeth.

"Yes just flew in from London" I said feeling david move closer towards me.

"Oh you must be tired please sit down"

"I must say London I would love to go, the girls are meant to be lots of fun" he said not loosing my eye contact

And I simply smiled back feeling his eyes scan over me. His intentions where obvious. I wasn't interested I just wanted to be told what  I was supposed to me doing in this foreign place. However I played along as I could tell it was annoying David. His body pressing up even closer to me as the man at the desk continued with the flirtatious chat trying to make an advance.

"How long will this take" david grunted impatiently

"Sorry sir" he mumbled shooting daggers in David's direction
"Right" he said scrolling on the computer "Sir I'm going to have to ask you to leave as It appears this is confidential" he said cockily

"Im her ppo" David  said angrily

"I'm sorry but there are no exceptions" he said lightly with a tone of arrogance to his accent

"Nice meeting you though" he said and they exchanged a testosterone filled hand shake both trying to out do the others grip

David grunted and mumbled something under his breath and left through the door. I suddenly felt vulnerable I didn't like having David away although I knew I was perfectly capable of looking after myself.