Chapter 7: The book

I lounged on the couch as I saw Jane bustle past in a yellow cocktail dress, putting some hoop earrings in.
"Come on Arthur, we're going to be late!" She called.
"I'm almost ready! We're not going to be late! We live across the road from them." Arthur said as he walked out of the bathroom.

Jane and Arthur were going out for the night with Norman's parents, who they met at the play. So it was just me and Issac, alone.

Though I was worried for what Simon had said to me in that stall today.
'Time is running out! Get the book!'
I sighed, I had to either sneak out or tell Issac the truth where I was going once Jane and Arthur left. If they found out what I was doing it would be likely that they would stay home and prevent me from going out.

"How do I look Isabelle?" I heard Jane ask.
I sighed and looked up to her.

She wore a yellow cocktail dress with gold hoop earrings and black high heels, her hair was in a bun and had pink lipstick slashed across her lips.
I didn't really care how she looked but gave a thumbs up anyway.
"You look great, Jane." I said.

Though her hair clashed with the dress, it was kind of like a yucky mustard colour.

"Phew." She said, exhaling.
"I'm ready as well." Arthur said, adjusting the cuffs on his tux.
"Great, now Issac watch Isabelle and make sure nothing happens, there's some leftovers in the fridge and there's a chance well be back late, so it's best for you to be in bed when we're out." Jane said before walking out of the house with Arthur behind her. "Don't get into trouble!" She said looking at me.

"We won't!" Issac called and Arthur shut the door.

I stood up and looked outside to see Arthur, Jane and Norman's parents talking out the front of the house before getting into a small yellow car and driving off.

I walked upstairs and into my room, looking for a bag that would be easy to carry. My eyes fell onto a small backpack I had gotten for Christmas at one point. I grabbed that before putting a torch, stick, a purse with five dollars inside, my phone (the ones that flip open) and other bits and bobs in it before grabbing a jacket and going into the kitchen. I found some muesli bars and dried fruit and put those inside along with a water bottle.

I hoisted the bag onto my back before hearing someone speak.
"Where are you going?" I heard Issac's voice say.
"Out?" I said meekly, turning to face him.
"No, tell me really, I won't tell Jane or Arthur." He said with his arms crossed.
I'll have to tell him the truth, even if it sounds far-fetched.
"To Norman's." I said. "He lives across the road and I have my phone with me." I continued.
"Why?"
"Huh?"
"Why are you going over to Norman's place?" Issac repeated. "Going to do some ouija?"
I shook my head and looking down.

"You can tell me, I won't judge." He said, walking over to me and putting his hands on my shoulders.

"Do you remember someone called Simon Ghasto? Like an uncle of mum's or something?" I asked suddenly.
He paused in thought, tapping his chin before seeming to remember something. "Yeah, but that was when you were only a newborn."
"What was he like?"
"Well, he was a weird fellow, pretty tall and skinny, though he had a crazed look in his eye, claiming to be seeing ghosts." Issac said. "Though we haven't seen him after that."
"I've seen him." I mumbled.

"What?"
"He said I had to do something that involved the legend around the town and it involves me and Norman." I said.
Issac hesitated. "Look, just don't get into trouble and call me every now and then." He said. "I won't tell Jane or Arthur about this."
I wrapped my arms around him, giving him a hug. "Thank you."
"No worries, now run along, I'll be home watching TV." He said.

I smiled and ran out the door over to Norman's house.
I walked around the side of the house and over the fence into the backyard. The sun was slowly setting, bathing everything in a golden glow.
I got out my phone before remembering that I didn't have his number yet.
'Hmmmm.' I thought before picking up a small pebble and threw it at his window.