Chapter Nine: In the Silent City, Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

Despite her defense of Talis just a moment ago, his plea struck a wrong chord with Silay. Something about blood magic. Not what he was saying now, but something he had said earlier. Suddenly, it clicked. They had all thought Talis, and therefore Kahoz, didn’t know about her immunity to magic. But perhaps that wasn’t the case.

"Talis, when you found us two nights ago, when you first asked for help... what was it you said?"

"What I just said. That Kahoz has my blood."

"Not that." Silay chose her next words carefully, reasoning through what she was about to say. "You said Kahoz also has my blood?”

“Look, I said I was sorry—”

“But it doesn’t matter, does it? That Kahoz has my blood. He didn’t track us with it, because magic doesn’t work on me.”

Talis frowned. “Fine, yes. I left that part out to scare you. Kahoz has your  blood, but he isn’t able to do anything with it.  He tried. I didn’t think you would help me otherwise.”

“How did he track us then?”

Talis didn’t answer.

“Answer the question,” Jarlen commanded.

“Or what?” Talis met the man’s eyes. “You’ll hurt me? I doubt it. Promise to help me, and I’ll help you. Until then, I’m done talking.”

Jarlen and Silay exchanged glances. Neither of them trusted Talis, but he was also right that none of them were willing to hurt him to get information.

“I—” Riya’s voice trailed off, and Silay and Jarlen turned to look at her.

“Riya! Are you all right?” Silay had never seen her so pale.

The magician shook her head. “I…I don’t feel so good.” She started to tip forward, and Jarlen stepped over and grabbed her arm.

“Careful there.” He caught Silay’s eye. “Help me?”

Silay darted forward and placed Riya’s arm over her shoulder.

“I’m sorry. I just feel weak all of a sudden.”

Jarlen took charge. “Silay, take Riya into the closest house and see if you can find a place for her to sit or lie down. I’ll go get our packs.”

Silay nodded and turned toward the house, surprised by how much of Riya’s weight she was having to support.

“What about me?”

Jarlen glared at Talis. “You’re fine just where you are. We’ll decide what to do with you later.” He lingered long enough to make sure Silay was able to hold up Riya, then headed for the gate where they had left their packs.

***

The inside of the house told a lot more about what had happened at Turvew than the outside had. Or at least, it showed what hadn’t happened. All of the furniture seemed to be intact, but there was no food, blankets, or clothes. Whoever lived here had packed before leaving. It was certainly a better sign than an abandoned house full of food. People had fled the town in a hurry, but not in a panic. After Silay made sure Riya was sleeping, albeit fitfully, in one of the bedrooms, she joined Jarlen in the kitchen. When he returned with their supplies, they secured Talis in the bedroom farthest from Riya’s, then retired to the kitchen. 

“What’s wrong with her? Can you do anything to help?”

Jarlen looked up from his seat at the kitchen table, looking as exhausted as Silay felt. “She isn’t sick. It’s the collar.”