Chapter Seventeen

As we headed to dinner that night, one question continued to circle my mind. Not that I was afraid to ask Lannan, I was more so afraid of what the answer would be. The calming motion of his thumb circling my palm is what kept me calm, and kept me from going crazy.

     "Lan, why are you with me?" His eyebrows scrunched together at the question. Confusion written on his face. "I mean, Ilsa is so pretty." His head rolled back as he finally understood why I was asking. He pointed to a bush of flowers.

     "Do you think those flowers are beautiful?" I nodded.

     "But what does that-" he put his hand up, stopping me mid-sentence.

     "Do you think these string lights are beautiful?" Once again, I nodded. "Babe, those flowers are beautiful and so are the string lights. They serve two different purposes, and they're very different in what they do, but they're both beautiful." He paused taking his hand from mine and throwing his arm around my shoulder. "Ilsa is beautiful, just like those flowers. But you, my Sammie, are beautiful like the string lights." A smile broke across my face and I wrapped my arm just a little tighter around his waist. "Two things can be beautiful in their own way, love."

     "Thank you for seeing the beauty in me, Lannan." He smiled and pressed his lips against mine. "Do you think we can get some chicken tenders?" He rolled his eyes and ruffled up my hair.

     "I will get you the best chicken tenders, woman." Dinner was a blast and it seemed as if everyone had finally accepted me into this small family they had created. I could see how happy Lannan was and my heart nearly jumped out of my chest when he threw his head back, laughing at something Marcus had said. My heart swelled at the sight of his smile. I could feel his fingers dancing around on my thigh as he continued on with the conversation. Nikki had been right. Two weeks isn't a long time, but I knew I had fallen madly in love with him. And now, nearly four months later, we were sat in a nice restaurant eating the best chicken tenders with our friends.

It amazed me how four months ago I hadn't even known he existed. Four months ago I was still hung up over a failed relationship and I almost missed out on the best thing that has ever happened to me. I was hooked. There was no doubt about it. Lannan had me wrapped around his finger. His hand now gripped my thigh as I was brought back to reality.

     "Don't you think so, babe?" Unsure of what he was saying, I just nodded. "Even Sammie thinks Scooby is better than Courage." Dinner finally came to an end and Lannan was taking me back home. The sun was now gone but he always said that the night was still young.

     "Lan, I'm scared." Our movements slowed as he took my face in his hands. "What if one day you decide you don't want me anymore?"

     "Please don't think about that. I'm happy, you're happy. Don't do this to yourself." I nodded and we continued on our way home.

     The second we got on my doorstep Lannan gave me a long kiss. He gripped my waist keeping me exactly where I was, and I loved every second of it. I placed either of my hands on the sides of his face hoping he wouldn't pull away any time soon. It was the moments like these that I lived for. Sweet goodnight kisses on my doorstep. But tonight was different. I didn't want him to go. I didn't want to watch him get in his car and drive away. I wanted him to come inside. To show me how beautiful he truly thought I was, but I was all still new to this. I had no idea how to make that move, or how to even ask for it. I could feel his finger trail hitch my shirt up ever so slightly and pulled him just a tad bit closer. He slowly pulled away.

     "Is your dad home?" I shook my head. At this his smile widened and he opened the front door. As soon as I closed the door, I was pushed against it. Lannan's lips were in mine once more. This time he pressed his hands against the skin of my hips. The kisses getting faster and sloppier as he attempted to guide us up the stairs. Finally we made it to my room where he nudged open my door. I pulled away from the kiss, gripping his collar, and pulling him towards the bed with me. I watched as he bit his lip, unsure of whether or not I really wanted this. "Are you sure, Sammie?"

     "I've never been more sure about anything in my life Lannan." I paused collapsing onto my bed. "Now get over here, and show me how beautiful I am."

      "I'm gonna show you just how fucking beautiful you are, woman." And with that, Lannan closed the space between us. His lips locked on mine.