Frost Bitten Feelings

It took a few minutes, but I was able to stand. The grip on my lungs finally releasing, and my focus no longer split between her and air. Slowly coming to the realization of what I've done. That feeling of dredge, followed by the feeling if cold sweat accumulating on my forehead. The clicks of her heels were gone. While the noises of the party that were muted to me a while ago remained steady. Seems she hadn't made it back there yet. I...I still had time.

I felt as if my body came to the same conclusion on its own, for before I could understand what I was doing. I made to the door, swung it open and I was right. She was gone. Yet my luck wasn't getting any better. She killed the lights. Part of me wondered. Did she do it out of habit, maybe she figured I'd be passed out for a while, or maybe she's just a-

"Sadistic bitch," I mumbled as I managed to get to the stairs; not even bothering to find the light switch myself. I figured my eyes would adjust eventually. I didn't have the luxury of time. I gripped the railing and made my way down with the confidence of someone whom could actually see in the dark. In the back of my mind that I hoped I didn't slip. With the size of this staircase, I'm sure it could easily kill me.

No...

I'm not that lucky. As I got to the bottom the dimly lit area was a God's send. When my foot touched the bottom I looked up and just like before, I froze. My eyes landed on the beautiful
Kheimon. Was she toying with me. Leaning on the wall with her hands behind her back. She was waiting there, staring back at me before turning and heading down the hallway towards the party. The silence that somehow made my ears once again honed on the sound of her heels. Like a marionette doll, my body ran to her. I reached out to grab her, yet with the turn of her heel she pinned me. Air escaped for the second time as my body was up against the wall. Her left hand on my throat, with her left leg in between mine. The other hand ready to punch me if I dared to move. What was happening.

I didn't even bother speaking. At this point, I'd be an embarrassment. I just stared into her cold emotionless eyes. I don't understand, was it the element of surprise or did I fear her. I've taken on guys that were 3x her size, and yet I'm a little scared. She has me right where she wants me; and I, her puppet was doing everything she expected. Maybe it wasn't that I'm scared of her, maybe it's that if I even touched her, her parents would have my head. Though I've already tainted their daughter with my fist. I'd be executed just for that alone.

"Try to touch me again and next time I'll make sure you regret it. Everyone will wonder what gang broke in and beat you death," she said calmly and made each word had the impact it deserved. I let out a hesitant nod and she let go. I clutched my throat. My coughing was the only other sound that rang through the empty hallway. I saw her give me a bored look before turning to continue walking. I just stood there and watched her go. I gave up. This was a lose loose fight for me. My fire was extinguished and I'm out of matches. She stopped. "Is that it," she asked and I was confused. "Was it that easy to put out your flame? Disappointing. I thought you'd have a little more bite to you. Seems I was mistaken," she said like she was almost disappointed.

"The hell you mean," I said calmly walking up to her. "That's exactly what I mean. Your roaring flame is nothing but a dwindling ember, and it's embarrassing," she said and I felt my eye twitch. "Well what did you expect me to do," I snapped. "Not hide with your tail between your legs. How about what," she sighed. "Listen, you don't wanna do this. Do you specialize in pissing people off," I said trying not to do something stupid again. "Only the week ones," she smiled. With those words she poured lighter fluid on my ember, and I erupted. I grabbed her by the collar. She was taken back. Before I could respond she started talking, "and here I thought you'd be too scared to do anything. My parents could destroy you, though I could easily take you down myself. I have everything you have and more. Yet it seems you still had kindle left to burn," she said softly before she knocked my hands away and pushed me back in one fluid motion.