Chapter Eight

The sirens sounded fuzzy as they got closer. I looked around and saw everything upside down. Everything was brighter too. It was still day. It felt like it had been hours but I knew it had only been a few moments. I looked to the side of me and saw Jake, his head was bleed profusely. I could feel a few tears drip down my face.

The next thing I knew I was in an ambulance.
"Call David," I muttered out, reaching for my probably broken phone in my back pocket. Then I blanked out again.

I woke up in a hospital room with David talking on the phone with someone and machines beeping around me.
"Oh my God she's waking up let me call you back," David said. "Hi Izzy."
"David," I said, smiling. "My head hurts so bad."
"Yeah, you have a concussion. The doctor should be coming in soon. She's gonna explain everything okay?"
"Yeah," I said, nodding.

"Glad to see you're awake, Isabel," the doctor said, coming in about an hour later. "Hi Isabel. My name is Dr. Desantis. Do you know where you are?"
"The hospital," I muttered. "Are we still in L.A.?"
"Good you know where you are. And yes we are in L.A.. You're injuries aren't too bad, you're very lucky. You have a concussion, a few head lacerations, and worst of all you have a shattered knee cap. Because you have a shattered knee cap you're going to need surgery. Which isn't too bad."
"What about Jake? Is he okay?"
"Unfortunately you're friends injuries were far too bad and he did not make it. I'm very sorry for your loss."
I tried to hold back the tears, the pain that I was feeling. Jake was gone and I wasn't going to get him back. I felt a tear escape and I immediately wiped it.
"Thank you, Doctor."
The doctor smiled and left.
"Izzy, I-"
"David, can you just leave please?"
"Yeah."
David left, looking back one more time.
I broke down, every tear escaping my eyes. I threw the magazines on the end table next to my bed at the wall across from my bed. It wasn't fair, he was gonna be a CEO. We were going to go to New York.

It was the next day and my parents were here.
"Ich bezahle alles. (I'm paying for everything.)," my Dad said.
"Dad," I said, tilting my head slightly.
"Ich werde meine Tochter nicht für etwas verschulden lassen, was nicht ihre Schuld war. (I'm not going to let my daughter to be in debt for something that wasn't her fault.) Außerdem ist es günstiger als Ihre Studiengebühren. (Besides it's cheaper than your tuition.)"
"Vielen Dank. (Thank you.)"

A couple hours passed and I was heading into surgery. I counted back from ten as the anesthesia kicked in. Everything went by so fast it was like I was asleep and then awake. My parents were by my side and David was in the corner. My parents didn't hate him, they loved him in fact, he just thought he was being respectful.
  "Hi Izzy," Dr. Desantis said. "How you feeling?"
  "Good," I responded. "Just a little tired still."
  "Good. Now we're gonna keep you here overnight and then you get to go home tomorrow and you're gonna be on crutches for about two  months and in three days you'll come back get your stitches out and start physical therapy once a week. In that two month period you'll probably need help getting places, which means no driving."
  "Can I still go to my classes?"
  "Of course. You'll just need a friend to pick you up and drop you off. Oh and no stairs."
  "Izzy, we're gonna go grab some coffee," my parents said.
  "Okay," I responded. Both my parents and the doctors left and it was just me and David.
  "You're gonna stay with me," David said. "You're parents can't stay in L.A. so they're letting me help you."
  "Okay."
-
-
Two chapters today?