chapter 2 part one

"The Evil Deadman" 

Annika's POV

Ever since Beck's passing, I was starting to lose my feelings of anger over what Dr. Nicky did to her. Despite my anger, I was still mourning. I made the decision to relocate, this time to Illinois. 

It wasn't until I ran into Joe a year or two later that he suggested we work at a bookshop together. So, I'm currently employed by this bookshop in Plainfield, Illinois. I've been working really hard today organizing the shop. 

I sincerely hope Joe won't be angry with me. 

Two girls walk through the door as I'm arranging the books; they appear to be friends or something. I gave a tiny smile and walked down to the basement to focus on one of the books, so I asked Joe to take over for a little while. 

I thought it was strange how the girl who came in with her friend just stood there staring at Joe like she had seen a ghost. But I still go to the basement. 

I walked to the basement, which was connected to a garage door; in other words, you enter the door, walk the stairs, and reach at the garage door, which, when opened, leads to a different area. I was the one who had to fix the two books that had fallen from the shelves. 

The basement contained a glass cage. It was designed to maintain a comfortable temperature for the oldest books so that they won't crack. There are constantly cold temperatures. I glance at my watch and see that it is now 12 o'clock. 

I wave at Joe and the two girls before leaving to get some lunch for myself. Visit the restaurant by the store; the menu is excellent. As I wait for my lunch, my friend Lynn texts me a picture of us with Beck and Peach, which only serves to highlight how much I miss them. 

Unfortunately, though, life must move on while we try to mourn our losses. 

After that, Joe texted me asking me to run additional errands for him due to low book stock, so I did. 

After leaving the restaurant, I proceeded to retrieve Joe's supplies. 

When I walked into the store at 5 o'clock, it was completely silent, which confused me. "Joe?" I yell for him but get no response. 

I set the items down and search everywhere for him. I then give it some thought and try to figure out if he's downstairs in the basement.

"HELP, SOMEONE HELP ME!!" shouts could be heard as soon as I opened the door. 

I rush downstairs and now am TERRIFIED!

I'm frightened and shocked, I see blood on the ground, and I recognize two of the girls. "Please call 911!" The brunette begs I grab my phone and called 911.  

While the dispatcher was still on the line, I opened the basement's garage door, and what I discovered shocked me even more. 

The glass cage was broken and covered in blood, but that wasn't all; I also discovered Joe's body inside the damaged cage. 

His stomach and neck both have gashes, and his eyes are completely white. Upon seeing him, 

I at last understood what had happened to Beck—Joe, killed her... not Dr. Nicky! 

I shut the garage door once the ambulance arrived. Me and the brunette joined the ambulance as it transported the injured redhead to the hospital.

While we waited, the poor brunette was weeping. I asked her what happened while praying to God that her friend would be okay, so she told me everything. I had to say what I intended in my minds once she revealed that Joe had harmed them. She couldn't believe I knew Beck when I mentioned him killing her in the conversation. 

After the conversation, I scrubbed the brunette's face to clean the blood. I assured her that I wouldn't tell anyone. The Girls names were Maria and Lily, the brunette revealed to me. 

The doctor finally arrived and told us Lily is ok. Sincerely, I am very happy Lily is doing well. When we entered the room Maria walked to Lily and were holding each other like lifelines as soon, which made me happy.

When I looked at Lily, she has bandages and was smiling apart from the pain as she realizes she has been spared. She looks at me and thanked me. 

I had to rush to the store to clean up the scene one hour after the incident. After I closed everything and started unlocking the basement door, I heard a noise. I quickly approach, went downstairs then opened the garage door... what?!!!!!!

There was no broken glass or blood, and everything seemed neat. I notice the cage was open, when I look down, Joe was gone.

Am I losing my mind?

I was ready to head back upstairs when I felt something grasp my arm.

I don't know what it is... I turn my head, Oh my god....

NO..it's him! 

He didn't have a decent appearance at all—scary, even! His mouth was dripping with blood, and the gash on his neck was still visible. 

One eye is white, the other is bloodshot red. He was standing directly in front of me, and from what I could tell, he didn't look happy at all; instead, he looked a bloodsucker. 

What the hell?

Was I hallucinating, what the hell's going on? 

Was I going crazy now? 

Then he began vomiting profusely streams of blood. like......damn, what the hell, 

"Does this not look real to you?" He asked in a deep voice. 

I look down noticing Joe made a blood puddle, and as I was ready to pass out while still being speechless, I lost consciousness. 

Even Though I was still unconscious, I felt him pull me using my arms.

I then feel a needle in my arm, once I woke up, I see the needle connect to a small tube sticking out of my arm seeing I am inside the fixed cage. 

My blood was being pumped through the tube and into a bottle. I then witness Joe picking up the bottle and downing the last of my blood.  

I fainted again I once again and realized he didn't keep my phone, he wasn't very clever. I made an attempt to dial 911. 

He then smirked menacingly as he drank my blood and added tapping on the glass to get my attention, "No one can hear us down here, and there is no Wi-Fi." I swallowed dryly out of nerves  

Shit...