Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Rolling her eyes, Arabella sidesteps past her brother. She did not come this far to turn back now. "I'm enjoying the party," she responds. "Elijah asked me to be his date, and it would be quite rude to decline such a nice offer."

Lifting an eyebrow, Stefan stares at his sister like she's joking. When he sees the serious look on her face, he shakes his head. "We told you not to come."

Arabella chokes back a laugh. Do her brothers really think that she's about to start to listen to them after all these years? "When have I ever listened to you?" She asks.

Something or someone behind her catches Stefan's attention, dragging his gaze. Arabella turns to find Elena Gilbert standing in the entranceway, a small smile forming on her face. "Something tells me you have a lot more to worry about than your sister having fun at a party." She pats him on the shoulder as she wanders off.

She spots Elijah over in the corner, speaking to one of his guests. Right before she can muster up the courage to go and speak with him, someone catches her arm.

Turning to face whoever had the nerve to touch her, Arabella is surprised when she comes face to face with the reason her brothers didn't want her to come here. His dark green eyes stare at her with a glint of mischief. She tries to ignore the fact that the hybrid's eyes wander a little further than they should.

Raising her eyebrows, Arabella turns to face Klaus. A large grin spreads across his face. "Miss me already?" He asks. "That was rather fast. We weren't even apart for a day."

The teenage werewolf rolls her eyes. "I'm not here for you," she replies with sass. Producing a pleasant smile, Arabella stares at the hybrid. "Elijah asked me to come as his date."

The hybrid's smile falters for a brief moment. Never did he ever expect his brother to attempt something as stupid as this. Does he not know of Klaus's feelings towards the werewolf? Or does he simply not care?

As though speaking his name somehow summoned him, Elijah waltzes over with a charming smile on his face. "Arabella," he greets with enthusiasm. Too much enthusiasm in Klaus's opinion. "You came."

Facing the Original vampire, Arabella produces a smile of her own. "I could never turn down such a kind offer," she replies. "Thank you for the wonderful invitation."

Elijah brings his gaze towards his brother. The look he sends his brother is a challenge on his dominance. Will Klaus finally own up to his feelings with the girl, or will he risk losing her? That's the entire reason Elijah invited her here as his date. That and he couldn't seem to get the cursed wolf out of his mind.

"Mother has requested us to gather so we can formally announce the ball," Elijah states simply. He casts his eyes back to his date. "I will meet up with you right after."

Arabella nods as the hybrid and the Original wander towards the staircase. Whatever dominance battle that just happened between the two brothers is the furthest thing from the girl's mind when she spots Damon and Stefan standing next to each other in the center of the room.

Trying to slip past them, Arabella finds Elena at the drinks table, speaking to a strange man that Arabella doesn't recognize. She finally approaches the doppelgänger as soon as the man leaves.

"Could everyone gather, please," Elijah's voice booms out across the foyer.

She stops her drifting by Elena's side and brings her gaze to the large staircase. She counts the five Mikaelson siblings, her eyes pausing on the strange man that Elena was just speaking to. What does that vampire want to do with Elena?

"Welcome, thank you for joining us," the Original continues when he realizes that all eyes are on him and his family. "You know, whenever my mother brings us all together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance."