Chapter Seven

"SO WHAT'S SO INTERESTING ABOUT LIAM SUDDENLY?" Sophia asks in form room. When I look back at her, her red lips are turned up in a smirk. She's perched on top of one of the rickety tables that constitute as desks in this particular room. She has her hand flicked towards herself, as if he was just surveying her black nail polish.

     "You've a boyfriend, don't you?" I say, shifting in my chair.

     "You've got a crush on 'im, don't you?" she says, her mouth properly smiling now. "I'm surprised. 'e's a nasty bloke."

     "He's not. He's just a little rough around the edges," I say, turning away quickly when I realize he's met my eye.

     Sophia shrugs. "Dunno. He's also shagging a girl every new week."
     "I know," I mutter. "But what does that matter?"

     Sophia grabs my shoulder suddenly. "Listen, you're gonna get fucked over with 'im."
     I shrug. "The most damage that'll happen is that I'll lose interest. We're not going to date."
     She frowns. "Watch out."

     I attend multiple band practices in October. In fact, I get to witness Noel, Liam's brother, come back from his band and make the offer to join. That is, under the pretext that he would write all the songs for the band and they should try to make a number one record.

     Liam wasn't frustrated with the number one record idea as much as he was about his brother taking over the band.

     "Fucking twat thinks he's the smartest bloke that ever walked the earth. Thinks he's Jesus Christ," he told me, pacing in front of the kitchen table one afternoon.

     "What about his stuff, though? Did you look at it?" I say, placing cookies I made last weekend on a plate and tea beside it.

     "Well Tony's excited about that load of shite that he wrote. Better'n having four tunes."
     "What do you think about them?"

      "I played two of them. Fucking awful. But better'n what we have now."
      "Liam," I say, standing in front of him with my arms crossed.

     "They were pretty fucking good," he mutters, meeting my eyes with a guilty look. "At least for Noel."

     So Oasis became Tony, Bonehead, Liam and Noel. Liam retained his spot as lead vocalist and seemed to work pretty well with his brother at band practice. I listened to them and watched Liam on a ratty couch in their garage. Liam asked for my opinion sometimes but usually for more cookies, which I gladly made.

     More days than not, Liam would walk me back to my flat, even though it wasn't turning dark as quickly as it would in the following months. He would lean against the doorframe when we reached my front door and talk to me for a little about trivial things, like David Bowie or Manchester City football or his next gig.

     Today, I invite him to come inside. Like usual, he indifferently accepts and follows me inside my house. I tell him to wait in the mud room while I find the cookies I made over the weekend. However, something stops me from taking another step forward.

     "What do you think about...well he doesn't have to know...Marcy, you're the most beautiful woman I know...well I don't live too far away..."
     I try to say "Dad," but his name dies on my lips. I can only stand there, feel the blood drain from my face and my limbs freeze in place. This isn't happening.

     "You alright, Emma?" Liam asks.

     "I'll give you the cookies tomorrow," I say, and close the door behind him.

     When I close the door behind him, I have to face the grim reality of my situation. Suddenly the gap divides even farther between the dreamworld with Liam and the uncertain purgatory that is my home.