𝚡𝚕. 𝚐𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚕 𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚍 𝚏𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚛

Start from the beginning

     "I would embrace the death," Cress says, breath clouding on the dark oak table. "Please, let me have it."

     "No, not yet, and especially because you want to die," Jonah snaps, coming over and picking Cress up by her arm, pulling her to the middle of the room where there's space. "Don't you know Slytherins only kill unsuspecting targets. Makes us more evil."

     "I'll keep that in mind." Cress takes out her own wand, which sits motionless in her hand, no magic fizzing through her hand the way it usually does. "What're we learning today, Oh Wise One?"

     "You know, I really hate the fact that Harry suggests extra Quidditch practices and you support him, but I'm trying to help you with a serious problem and I get your snark."

     By extra Quidditch practices, Jonah means the lessons that Harry had mentioned to Cress a week ago. Cress told him and Marigold about it in a moment of weakness because they were both complaining about Umbridge and she couldn't let it go on for any longer, had to make them understand that there was possibly going to be an alternate route for them to take.

     "It's because I have to, Jonah. I was conditioned to hate the Slytherins. I have to give you snark or I would be going against my beliefs."

     "You don't give Mari snark," Jonah points out.

     "She's Mildred's sister and a lot cuter than you," Cress replies, smiling when Marigold snorts into her parchment.

     "I hate it here," Jonah says. "Absolutely hate it. Learn magic by your damn self then, since you think I'm so horrible and not cute."

     Cress laughs, pulling Jonah's arm when he tries to go sit down. "Shut up, Jonah. You know you're the perfect teacher, I don't have to tell you."

     "But," Jonah says, pouting, "am I cute?"

     A sigh falls out of Cress's mouth. "Yes, you're cute. Kind of. I can't say you're too cute because I still fancy--"

     "Yeah, yeah, Weasley still burns your buns, we get it." Jonah shakes his head, smirking down at Cress. "Jesus fuck, you're so whipped for one guy, it's unbelievable."

     "I think it's cute," Marigold comments, grinning at Cress. "If only Cho Chang was smitten with me the same way." She sighs forlornly, and Cress bites her lip to keep from telling her that Chang is smitten the same way Cress is with Fred. She figures Cedric didn't tell her so she would go blabbering on about it, so she doesn't say anything.

     "Aw, look at you two, so in love. It's disgusting."

     "Jonah, you'll find that person one day, don't worry. I suspect they're closer than you think."

     Whatever Jonah was going to say to Marigold is interrupted by the opening to the common room parting. Draco Malfoy and his goons walk in, and immediately all the attention is on them.

     "Malfoy," Jonah greets unkindly. "How are lessons going? Too much for your peanut-sized brain? Need my assistance yet?"

     Malfoy sneers at Jonah. "Fuck off, Mudblood. As if I'll need help from the likes of you." He says it confidently, but Cress notices that the top of his cheeks are turning pink.

     "Draco," Marigold sings, twirling her wand on the table. "What did I say about calling him that?"

     Malfoy blanches, flinching away as though struck. Cress snorts into her hand at the affronted look on his face. He doesn't reply, but his silence is enough to comprehend that Draco is scared of Marigold.