1.28 | THE DINNER PARTY

Start from the beginning

"With all due respect Jenna, I'm not your daughter," Olivia responded, feeling the alcohol starting to take a toll on her actions and words already.

"I understand that but I'm guessing your mother wouldn't want you drinking." Jenna returned.

"My mother's never cared enough to be in my life before and now... well, she's lying at the bottom of a grave." Liv returned with little care, almost implicating it casually into the conversation, causing a momentary silence across the table.

"She's just a little bit tipsy," Damon said, once more directing his words to Jenna before getting up and moving around the table to the opposing side where Liv was currently seated. "Why don't we sober you up to a little?" He began, his tone normal but the look on his face firm, prompting Liv to roll her eyes despite complying with his suggestion and following him towards the kitchen.

"Teenagers these days, always acting inappropriately," John said with a smile and Olivia caught every word and so glared back at him over her shoulder.

Elijah catching the exchange, promptly spoke up himself. "I have always believed that every person's action has a viable cause. In the case of a loss, it's typical for people to take up habits such as drinking and acting out. May I ask what excuse you have?" Elijah stated plainly with a nonchalant expression over his features. John's smile dropped at his blunt words and in response, a small one played on Olivia's lips as she glanced over at Elijah who returned the expression fondly.

Damon, noticing the exchange between the two and seeing them both staring at one another, rolled his eyes before grabbing Olivia's arm and pulling her further along. "Could you at least try to play along as a human being? For a few hours at least?" He asked her from the archway between the living room and the kitchen, out of earshot from the others but not from Elijah.

"Okay, okay." She sighed in response, not bothering to fight with the Salvatore.

"Liv, I'm serious." Damon continued, his voice significantly softer.

"Yeah, Damon I know." She returned with a forced smile. Damon noticed the sense of sadness glinting in her eyes as she spoke and presumed it was regarding what she previously said about her parents.

"Olivia..." he said her name gently, about to attempt to muster up some reassuring words as he placed his hand gently on the girl's bare upper arm, gazing down into her grey eyes with slight empathy for her situation.

"Perhaps the gentlemen should take their drinks in the study." Andie's suggestion cut off Damon from finishing as everyone around the table began getting up from their seats, causing Olivia to head several steps back into the dining room, shortly followed by Damon.

Liv rolled her eyes at the comment, dismissing it however due to agreeing to play along as the perfect human girl for Damon's sake, though she supposed it was a little late for that.

"I have to say the food was almost as wonderful as the company," Elijah said, glimpsing in Olivia's direction before following Damon out of the room towards the study.

Olivia waited in her spot momentarily, watching as Jenna gave a couple of plates to John who moved them into the kitchen before Jenna and Alaric shared an awkward encounter. She then also left the room just as John returned and began talking to the hunter.

Their conversation went a lot worse than either of them would've anticipated and she couldn't blame Ric from being so angered by the Gilbert, but as John left the room once more, upon seeing Alaric about to follow him and most likely do something he'd regret she appeared in front of him, blocking his path. "Trust me I want to rip his throat out just as much as you do right now but this isn't exactly the best time." She stated, causing Ric to look over Liv's shoulder once more, to see John leaving the room before finally sighing and giving in.