Chapter Ten: Bathroom Break

"Yes, Miss Hawkins?" Mr. Jacobs, my English III teacher, asks. I've had my hand raised for like half the class and he just now realized it.

     "Can I use the restroom?" I ask politely.

     "I don't know, can you?" He asks as if I'm stupid. I can literally feel my rude attitude towards everybody coming back. I was nice to everyone when I was around Alex, but coming back to school, I realized that I'm now pissed at everyone and everything.

     "I can go right now, here in this chair, if you do not let me relieve my bladder in the bathroom," I say, not so polite.

     "Just go. I'm sure you won't be missed," Mr. Jacobs says, continuing to write vocabulary words on the board.

     "Dickface," I whisper to myself as I walk out the door. A few people laugh and he asks, "What was that?"

     "Thanks. I said 'Thanks'," I say and I walk as slow as I can towards the bathroom on the other hallway. There's no way that I'm going back into that classroom today. I didn't even have to pee, I just wanted to leave, so I just left the room.

     I walk into the last stall and I sit against the wall. The stalls at this school are pretty private and no one has ever noticed when I'm sitting on the floor, so that's just what I do.

     I pull my phone out of my back pocket and check the time. It's only 10:53, so I have like twelve minutes left until break, then I get to wait by my locker for Alex to see what he wants to do for lunch.

     I hear the bathroom door creak open before I hear a voice.

     "She's back," One of them said.

     "What?" The other one asks.

     "Joanna is back," It says again. Obviously they don't know that I'm in here, or they wouldn't be talking about me.

     "Isn't that the girl who was in the reallu bad car wreck that killed her family?"

     "It killed her dad, but her sister is in a coma at the hospital, I think. I don't care. Anyways, did you see that super hot guy that walked in with her?"

     I knew it. I just knew that no one cared. No one ever does. Except my dad and now he can't.

     "Yeah. He's fucking sexy," The second voice says. I have to stop myself from laughing outloud at the way they're talking about him. I wouldn't call Alex 'Sexy'. He's adorable and cute. Like the cuddly kind of cute. Don't get me wrong, he is super attractive in my opinion, but I wouldn't call him 'Sexy'.

     "I think I'm going to go for him next," The first girl says.

     "You're going to sleep with him?"

     "Yup," She says, popping the 'p'.

     They soon leave and I find myself overcome with sadness again. What if they actually get what they want? I don't want to lose Alex. He's the last thing besides my sister that I care about.

     The bell rings that dismisses the class and I jump because it surprised me. It didn't seem like those girls were in here for that long, but I guess I was.

     I quickly leave the stall and head for the door of the bathroom, but I am stopped by the sight of myself in the mirror. There is blood dripping from my nose and I rush to grab a paper towel before it gets on my shirt. I stay in the bathroom until my nose stops bleeding before I head towards my locker.

     "There you are Jo," Alex says with a smile.

     "Hey," I say. My voice sounds weak.

     "Are you okay?"

     I shake my head 'Yes', but then he hugs me and I start crying uncontrollably.

     "Hey, hey. Don't cry. Talk to me. Tell me what's wrong," Alex says while gently rubbing the back of my head.

     "I hate this fucking place," I whisper into his shirt, not sure if he heard me or not. I can feel the people staring at me, but I don't care.

     We start walking and I realize that Alex is taking me towards the parking lot.

     "What are you doing?" I ask Alex.

     "We are aloud to leave campus for lunch, aren't we?"

     "Well, yeah, but where are we going to go?"

     "Back to my apartment. I had Nat stock up on vegetables and salad stuff," Alex winks at me.

     "Don't ever do that again," I laugh, but he seems confused.

     "What? Stock up on vegetarian stuff?" He asks.

     "No. Wink. Don't ever wink again," I say and he repeats his action by winking, or attempting to wink, again.

     "Stop it," I laugh, a dry and inaudible laugh.

     "Why?"

     "Because it makes you look funny," I say.

     "As in cute funny, right?"

     "Nope. Just plain funny funny," I says and he laughs.

     "I like looking funny funny. Well, as long as I get to hear your laugh," he says and I glare at him.

     "Alex, I swear if you're ever that cheesy again, I'll punch you," I say. He laughs again.

     "You're funny funny."

     "Oh my god," I say to Alex. This time, I can't stop the laughter that makes its way through my body.

*I smiled while writing the last bit of this. :)*