Chapter Twenty-Three: Movie Night

"Hey Alex," I say as he walks into the living room. Nat left a few minutes ago and I've just been watching Tv since then.

He takes a seat next to me on the couch and I lay my head on his shoulder.

"How was your day stuck with Nat?" He asks.

"Eh. It was okay. Kind of boring though. How was your test?"

"What are you talking about?" He asks and I sit up.

"You said you had to take a test today and that's why you didn't stay home."

"Oh yeah. That test? Um.. It wasn't as hard as I thought," Alex hesitates, but I ignore it. I prop my feet on the side of the couch and lay my head in his lap.

"I'm glad it wasn't too hard," I tell him, "You seemed pretty nervous about it this morning."

"Yeah. Like I said, it was easier than I thought it would have been. Anyways, how are you feeling?"

"I feel okay. Just tired."

"Do you want to take a nap with me?" Alex asks and I shake my head.

"No, not that kind of tired, I'm just... I don't know," I try to explain.

"Is everything okay?" He strokes the top of my head with his hand and I smile.

"Yeah, everything's okay."

He pulls his phone from his pocket, types something really quick, and shoves it back in his pants before I can even think about looking at what he was doing.

"So, about the movies you brought home?" I look up to him and ask.

"Shit," He mutters before standing up, "I forgot. I was so busy with.. my test that I completely forgot. I can go get some right now if you'd like?"

"No, that's okay. We can just find something on cable and lie in bed."

"I think I like that idea better," He smiles.

"So.. I have an idea," I stand up, smiling at him.

"And that idea is?"

"I go lie down and pick out a movie. And you can make some popcorn and bring it so we can have a snack to go with the movie."

"That's a pretty good idea. But why do I have to be the one to make the snack?" He laughs.

"Because you're closer to the kitchen," I say, walking towards his room.

He laughs again before I retreat into the room, jumping on the bed. I immediately begin searching for the remote, knowing that it's probably lost in this mess of blankets and pillows on the bed.

I toss the pillows on the floor and I straighten up the sheets and blankets before placing the pillows back where they belong. I successfully made the bed, but there is still no remote to be found. I get down on my hands and knees and look under the bed. I see the remote sticking out of an old shoe. I don't know how the hell it got there, but at least I found it.

I hear the microwave beep just as I plop back on my side of the bed. A few minutes later, Alex walks in with the popcorn.

"I hope you like the kind without any butter or salt because that's all I could find. It's basically flavorless."

"Maybe I like flavorless popcorn," I laugh.

"So, what movie did you choose?" He sits next to me and puts the popcorn on the table next to the bed.