"Lolo, it will." Sinu countered. "All your feelings of rejection and insecurity, and anger- they are all hidden beneath surface and waiting to infiltrate your current relationships. Those unresolved feelings will cause the relationship between you and Mila to be toxic. I love you like you are my own child so please heed my advice, mi hija. Mila has always been so tender-hearted, especially with you. I just don't want you to hurt my baby girl."

Her chest tightened, the finality of Sinu's words bringing up some deep seeded anger. What Sinu said was true but it was still painful to hear it said aloud. "I'd never hurt her. Never."

"Hurting people often hurt people as a result of their own unresolved pain. You could be the best thing for my daughter. But you also have the ability to destroy her and that thought alone terrifies me," Sinu said quietly.

A small silence fell between. Lauren closed her eyes briefly, feeling sick. A tickle caught at her throat and her eyes blurred with unwanted tears. She quickly brushed them away in an irritated fashion. She was tired of being emotional over this topic. Lauren had to prove to herself that she was capable to having a healthy relationship. I'm normal. I'm not hurt. I'm fine, she told herself.

She smoothed an imaginary stray hair back into her bun and changed the subject. "Mami, I'm exhausted. My bed is calling." She knew that it was a cheap escape but she didn't want to discuss the topic further.

"Mi querida, take care of yourself, okay? Your heart has experienced a lot of hurt but that is why the heart is made of muscle. It's made to withstand the deepest of wounds yet still have space to carry chambers of love. I admire your heart for that."

Lauren paused as she absorbed Sinu's words. "I'll try my hardest to get better," she whispered sincerely.

"I know you will, mi hijita. I love you."

"I love you too," Lauren muttered back as she headed to bed.

She ended the phone call once Sinu said her goodbyes. She laid on her back, closed her eyes against the rising sun and began to drift into a deep slumber. Camila invaded Lauren's thoughts- her body, her eyes, her smile. I could fall in love with her, if I let myself fall, was her last thought before she slipped away into slumber.

-------

Lauren awoke with a gasp and bolted upright in bed. Then, as the slow, dizzying fog of slumber began to lift, she relaxed against her headboard and glanced at the digital clock beside her that said 5pm. Shit, she whispered beneath her breath. She had so many things to and she wasted her only free day by sleeping. Camila must be doing the same or she would've woken me up, Lauren thought. She jumped out of bed and crossed the hall towards the younger one's room. Lauren pushed Camila's door open one quiet inch at a time, before slipping inside.

There she was, sprawled on her belly across the twin bed with one arm dangling off the side of the mattress. Lauren couldn't help but smile, Camila was a wild sleeper and some things never changed. Her long, chestnut locks of hair swept over her eyes, and she'd curled one leg oqut from beneath the comforter. Her face looked so childlike and serene as her thick lashes cast shadows against the curve of her cheekbones. She looked so peaceful, and Lauren felt a little tug at her stomach. Sometimes the sight of Camila's face made her breath catch, even after all these years. I could fall in love with her, if I let myself fall.

Lauren knew she should return to her room and begin to tackle those anatomy books but instead, she crouched down and knelt on the wood floor beside Camila's bed to watch her sleep. Before long, Lauren realized she'd unconsciously matched her breathing to Camila's melodic, slow rhythm. She leaned forward and pressed her cheek lightly against the smaller one's shoulder and closed her eyes to savor her warmth, her lavender smell. She slid her own hand across the sheet, just close enough that their fingers lightly touched. Using one finger to lift a section of hair away from Camila's face, Lauren cupped the smaller one's cheek in her palm, smiling at the silky smoothness against her skin.