Chu Lian didn't like to beat around the bush, so she immediately said it straight out. "I'm sure you've already guessed what I'm thinking of. Old Duke Zheng needs someone to take care of him while he's recovering, but I can't stay behind in the Zheng Estate. You've been serving me all this time and I've never kept my cooking or secret recipes hidden from both of you. You must have learned quite a bit from the daily meals in my courtyard. Now that this chance has come, are either of you willing to stay behind and take care of Old Duke Zheng's meals?"

As expected, Xiyan and Mingyan had indeed guessed what their young madam had in mind.

By the time Chu Lian had finished telling them her proposal, Xiyan already appeared anxious and unwilling. Conversely, Mingyan was much calmer than Xiyan. She kept her head lowered with her fringe shielding her eyes. Chu Lian couldn't tell what she was thinking.

Out of the corner of her eye, Mingyan cast a glance in Xiyan’s direction and saw Xiyan’s silent state. Since Xiyan was refraining from expressing her emotions aloud, Mingyan also didn’t speak up.

Chu Lian frowned when her two maidservants refused to speak. She continued explaining, "The two of you are my first-class personal handmaids, so I can't bear to send you off to someone else just like that. If one of you is willing to stay behind, when Old Duke Zheng gets better, I'll still send someone to bring you home. Of course, if both of you are not willing to stay back, I won't force it. There are always plenty of other solutions we can think of."

Chu Lian didn't like to force others at all. If none of the handmaids wanted to stay back, she wouldn't force the issue. She could just give out a few more secret recipes to settle the matter.

However, staying behind to take care of Old Duke Zheng was a rare opportunity for Xiyan and Mingyan. The two of them weren't stupid. They most likely realised that there were many benefits for them in this arrangement.

Matriarch He hadn't expected such a solution from Chu Lian. Her smile was full of hidden meaning as she also looked at Xiyan and Mingyan.

After hearing Chu Lian's additional explanation, Xiyan had obviously relaxed, but Mingyan suddenly tensed.

Chu Lian continued staring at the two handmaids. There was no small amount of pressure on them, facing down those piercing eyes. Xiyan and Mingyan's hearts were beating like drums.

"Tell me honestly what you think about this. No matter what your choice is, I won't blame you."

In an instant, Xiyan took in a deep breath and found the courage to look up. In a trembling voice, she said, "Third Young Madam, this servant doesn't want to stay behind. This servant... only wants to serve by your side."

Chu Lian was only startled for a moment. She smiled. "Then just stay by my side. Mingyan, what about you?"

Chu Lian’s answer lifted the great burden in Xiyan’s heart. She looked at her master with slightly misty eyes before moving to one side.

When Mingyan heard Xiyan's response, she clearly became even more nervous. After a fierce battle with herself, Mingyan still chose the path that was the most beneficial to herself. She looked up into Chu Lian's eyes and said, "Third Young Madam, this servant is willing to stay behind to look after Old Duke Zheng."

Mingyan had a pair of large eyes with double eyelids. Compared to Fuyan's liveliness, she was much more taciturn. The original novel hadn't described Mingyan much. Chu Lian also hadn't noticed any shortcomings in her personality after observing her for a few days. However, as she was someone serving her so closely, Chu Lian would always find a way to test her personality. Today's problem was one such chance. Unfortunately, Mingyan had clearly disappointed her.