Chapter 4 - Operation Titan

Start from the beginning

"It's empty," I murmured. "Stay low, Q."

Trekking backwards to the window, I looked out and was able to see part of the compound. However, the smoke column was blocking most of my view and I knew this point was not good to report any. Before I could move, the back gates opened up and I saw the insurgents leaving.

"Amelia, give a sitrep!" Frank radioed in suddenly.

"Frank, three vehicles has left the back gate of the compound," I replied and swallowed hard when I saw it. "The estate is on fire. I don't think they could make it out."

"Roger that."

"I am at Point 1, the smoke has worsened and unable to see anything. I'm moving to Point 3."

"Roger, we're moving out."

Sighing, we left the place and headed to the next lookout point which was placed at a higher location, farther away from the compound; hoping that I could see more from there. The smoke and fire was not helping me work at all. 

11:10pm

Point 3 was also a household estate but twice larger in size and it had a roof which faced the compound. It was abandoned and forgotten due to the war so we checked that it was empty first before we headed up to the four storey building.

The roof of the building gave me a good vantage lookout point and I was able to see everything from here – despite the distance.

Telling Q to keep low, I kept my handgun and set up my rifle as a I made myself comfortable seated on the floor. I rested the rifle on the ammunition bag and looked through the scope.

"Looks like one of them managed to get out from the raging inferno, Chief," I reported, after scanning the area carefully.

"How about the Ambo?"

"No, only Bradley," I said. "He don't look too good either. He must've breathed in all of the smoke."

I looked around, trying to find targets of opportunity, scanning the area carefully. I knew that Frank will send Lucas, Keith and Tom to the front gate and the rest will storm the back. I needed to feed them with information before they reached the compound.

"Lucas, I see you," I said. "A tactical and thirty tangos are at the front gate. The compound's own security personnel has fled the area. Looks like some March 17 guys are joining. On your right."

"Roger that, Amelia!"

As soon as they reached the crest where the enemy could see them, they began firing and I took out the tactical. Seeing the column of smoke and fire spiralling in the night sky, I grinned and fixed my attention to the back gate.

"Amelia, do you see the rest of the Black Forest guys?" Frank asked.

"No view of any," I said.

"Crap! Who are these guys?" Keith exclaimed. "Are they one of us?"

"If they ain't firing, they aren't against us," Tom answered.

"Push forward!" Frank ordered. "Get to the front gate."

"Roger!"

"Captain, we're at the back gate," the vanguard team reported. "Looks empty, the security isn't here."

I scanned the area where the back gate was, seeing the rookie team headed by Marcus were climbing up the wall and into the compound. I looked away when I lost sight of them, finding other things to look out for.

"Amelia, head to Point 2!"

"Roger that," I said and glanced over at the rookie. "Let's go, Q."

11:25pm

We packed up and left the deserted building, heading left to where Point 2 was. It was a lookout point for the compound – a high steel structure meant for security personnel to use to their advantage.

"We go through the back gate," I murmured. "Point 2 is in the compound. Frank and the others would have the area secured by the time we enter."

Q nodded. "Let's go to the vehicle."