Chapter 4 - Operation Titan

Börja om från början

"The reports are not clear but there is one thing that we know: the Ambassador and the Black Forest guys are in danger and we're the only back-up that they have within a mile," he explained. "I need you to go in there to make certain of the situation. We'll be behind you."

I nodded firmly and grabbed my sniper rifle off the table, checked it once before slinging it across my shoulder. Marcus entered the room knowing full well that I was dispatched and threw a bag filled with ammunition, nodding at my unasked question.

"Q will follow you," Frank added. "It's too far to reach on foot. Get him geared up."

Lucas grabbed the walkie-talkie and radioed to the rookie. "Oi rookie, get off your ass and gear up!" Lucas ordered. "You're being summoned!"

True to what Frank had mentioned, the compound was far on foot and it was a pain in the ass to jog across the streets with no cover as we all knew the entire city is on lockdown. Their eyes would be on alert for any foreign soldiers hanging about alone.

A minute later, the rookie jogged out from the living quarters and joined me in the courtyard where a vehicle was already parked and waiting for us to use. Quinn looked harried and I was sure he was unnerved by the sudden order given to him. I guess he was unused to being in the forefront.

"Kid, you good?" I asked.

"Yes ma'am!"

I jerked my head to the left and brought him to the hood of the vehicle. I pulled out a folded map from one of the pockets in my pants and laid it flat on the hood. Spreading it evenly, I switched on my flashlight so we could see clearer.

"We're here," I said, pointing at the box. "We're heading to Point 1 first and so I need you to park the vehicle somewhere around here so we won't be detected as we enter the building because I don't know if it'll be occupied. Do you think you can do that?"

He nodded. "Yes, ma'am!"

"After we park here, we're going to storm into Point 1 to ensure that it's empty and I'm going to use the area to scope out the situation," I continued. "Frank needs an eye to know what's going on there because the Black Forest guys don't know shit."

He nodded again and I returned everything into my pocket before we got into the vehicle together. I've memorised the strategic points where I can use as a vantage point.

We're going to the first one.

"Open the gates!" I radioed.

With Quinn at the wheel, we left the safety of the base and drove to the area where I had told him to. It was a strategic point where we could conceal a getaway vehicle if the need arises to. It took us three minutes to reach and Q shut off the lights and engine quickly as we got out.

We had to cut across a small strip of forest to get to Point 1 and I gave silent orders to Q: follow me and keep as quiet as possible.

Trekking across dark forests were part of the job and we emerged on the other side without being detected and slipped into the shadows again once I've ascertained where I was.

I jogged quietly, a hand on the rifle to stop it from bumping against my hip as I mainly kept in the shadows. Catching sight of Point 1 in the distance, we ran towards it. Pulling out a handgun from its holster, we needed to make sure it's empty before I resume position.

Point 1 was an abandoned building - two stories with two opened windows facing the compound. It looked like it used to be someone's home but vacated due to safety reasons. Here it stands crumbling and decaying with age.

I ran to the nearest doorway and pressed my back against the wall, switched the safety off before I entered the building. Q followed behind me as quietly as he could.

Checking all the rooms on the first floor to note that it was empty, I headed upstairs. Stairs are noisy and it'll alert whoever was inside if you're not careful.

Pressing our backs against the walls as we climbed up, we had to rely heavily on our senses because it was too dark to be sure. Threading slowly upwards, we got to the second floor and checked the only other room before I let out a sigh of relief.