Chapter 2: Eomer

Niphredil and Legolas were awake the whole night. They woke the others up and continued their way before sunrise. At sunrise, Legolas halted. "A red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night." Niphredil looked at him with worry in her eyes. Legolas saw her fearful face. He took her hand and ran. "Come. There is no time for doubts and fears."

They were running down a hill when they heard the sound of horses. Legolas stopped, shading his bright elven-eyes with his long slender hand, and he saw the small figures of horsemen, many horsemen.

"Riders!" said Legolas to Aragorn who came and stood beside him. Aragorn nodded. "We will wait," said Aragorn. "I am weary, and our hunt has failed. Or at least others were before us, for these horse-men are riding back down the orc-trail. We may get news from them."

"Or spears," said Gimli.

"There are three empty saddles, but I see no hobbits." said Legolas.

"I did not say that we should hear good news," said Aragorn. "But evil or good we will await it here."

They went out of the road and hide in the shadows of the hill. They were almost unseen, wrapped in their elvish cloaks between the green grass.

Suddenly the riders swept up with a noise like thunder, and the foremost horseman swerved, passing by the foot of the hill, and leading the host back southward along the western skirts of the downs. After him they rode: a long line of mail-clad men, swift, shining, fell and fair to look upon.

Aragorn looked at his friends and when the last rider passed them, he stood and went out of the shadows. "Riders of Rohan, what news from the Mark?" He shouted. Niphredil, Legolas and Gimli stood as well and went to his side. Niphredil's cloak was still wrapped around her and her hood had covered her face.

With astonishing speed and skill, the riders checked their steeds, wheeled, and came charging round. Soon the four companions found themselves in a ring of horsemen moving in a running circle, up the hill-slope behind them and down, round and round them, and drawing ever inwards and pointed their spears at them.

Then one rode forward, a tall man, taller than all the rest. from his helm as a crest, a white horsetail flowed. He advanced until the point of his spear was within a foot of Aragorn's breast. Aragorn did not stir.

"What business does an Elf, a Man and a Dwarf have in the Riddermark? And who is the one with the hood? Speak quickly!" he said and pointed his spear at Niphredil's chest. Legolas pulled Niphredil behind him instantly and Gimli stepped in front of them with his ax. "Give me your name, horse-master, and I shall give you mine." He said.

The rider leaped from his horse. Giving his spear to another who rode up and dismounted at his side, he drew his sword and stood in front of Gimli, surveying him keenly. "I would cut off your head, Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground." he said both angrily and mockingly.

"He stands not alone," said Legolas, bending his bow and fitting an arrow with hands that moved quicker than sight, still angry of how the rider had threatened Niphredil. "You would die before your stroke fell."

"Legolas!" whispered Niphredil and quickly put her hand on his arm and brought it down.

Aragorn jumped between them and raised his hands in surrender. "Your pardon, Lord." He cried. He then pointed to himself. "I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn. This is Gimli, son of Gloin, and Legolas of the Woodland Realm. And the one with hood is Lady Niphredil from Lothlorien."

Niphredil pulled her hood a little back, so her face and a little of her hair were revealed. The rider looked at Niphredil with awe, for he had not seen anyone more beautiful than her. her silver hair was shining under the light of the sun and her brown eyes were mesmerizing. He calmed down at the sight of her eyes.

"We are friends of Rohan and of Theoden, your king." Said Aragorn and brought the rider out of his trance.

"Theoden no longer recognizes friend from foe," Said the rider and took off his eyes from Niphredil. He took off his helmet and looked at Aragorn. "Not even his own kin. I am named Éomer son of Éomund, and am called the Third Marshal of Riddermark." He said and gestured for his men to take the spears away.

"Saruman has poisoned the mind of the king and claimed lordship over these lands. My company are those loyal to Rohan. And for that, we are banished." He said.

Niphredil looked at Eomer. Sadness was pouring from his last words. She could easily see his pure heart and brave spirit.

Eomer came closer and looked at them with suspicion. "The White Wizard is cunning. He walks here and there, they say, as an old man hooded and cloaked. And everywhere, his spies slip past our nets." He said quietly.

"We are no spies. We track a party of Orcs westward across the plain. They have taken two of our friends, captive." Said Aragorn.

"we call these Orcs, Uruk-hai. Saruman's new discovery. The Uruks are destroyed. We slaughtered them during the night." Said Eomer.

Niphredil felt her heart skipped a bit. She grabbed Legolas arm tightly. Gimli who couldn't contain himself anymore, went forth. "But there were two Hobbits. Did you see two Hobbits with them?" he said worried.

"They would be small. Only children to your eyes." Added Aragorn. Eomer looked at their worried eyes and shook his head. "We left none alive." He said.

Niphredil would fell on the ground if Legolas had not put his hand around her waist and kept her on foot.

"We piled the carcasses and burned them." Said Eomer while watching Niphredil. Seeing her on that condition made him to feel bad.

"Dead?" said Gimli shocked. Niphredil closed her eyes. Tears ran on her face.

Eomer felt his heart ached at the sight of her crying. "I am sorry." He said and after a few seconds he whistled. "Hasufel! Arod! Erina!" he called and three horses came forth.

"May these horses bear you to better fortune than their former masters. Farewell. Look for your friends. But do not trust to hope. It has forsaken these lands." He told them and jumped on his horse and looked at Niphredil for the last time. Something about this she-elf made his heart soft. He then turned to his men. "We ride north!" he shouted and rode fast, followed by his men and left the four fellows alone. Eomer rode without looking back, but in his heart, he was praying to see Niphredil again.