7. Got To Get You Into My Life

Thank you to everyone reading and leaving comments! 

--

Paul was home, having left the studio earlier than he intended. He couldn't bring himself to concentrate, which earned some curious looks from the lads. George had asked him why he looked so dejected, but he neglected to give him an answer. John seemed concerned; yet made wisecracks when needed while Ringo did his best to cheer him up, but Paul just couldn't bring himself to go along with them.

He opted just working at home, fiddling with a melody on the piano for their new album. He really wasn't in the mood to do anything but decided to immerse himself in work was better than feeling sorry for himself. It's not like he and Natalie were very close, yet he felt like he lost something special. And on top of that, he was sure he dropped his book on the road during their heated exchange.

Just when he was losing himself in a song, his phone rang. He stopped playing abruptly and glanced up at the telephone with a look of despair. He really didn't feel like getting up to answer it. It was probably Brian asking him why he left the studio so soon. He shifted from his stool and walked over to the phone to answer it.

"Hello, Paul speaking." He said, trying to sound more like himself.

"Paul?" The voice asked quietly on the other end.

"Oh, Jane, hi." He said, his voice filled with disappointment, "Jane, we need to talk," He told her, and to his surprise, she agreed.

-------

Natalie stood on the side of Paul's house, her eyes accessing the large fence that kept her from his front door. She peeked around the corner, getting a glimpse of the fans near the gate and quickly slipped behind the fence again, hoping to avoid them. She swung her bag behind her before grabbing the top of the fence and pulling herself up. She couldn't believe she was about to break into Paul's yard, but how else was she going to get in without those girls seeing her?

She groaned, finding it harder to pull herself up than she anticipated. She swung her leg over the fence, gaining progress before she slipped, tipping over the fence and falling forward. Her back and shirt caught on the top of the fence, leaving her dangling upside down.

'Well, at least I'm on the other side,' she thought, trying to see the light of her awkward situation. She wriggled her body, trying to set herself free but her shirt and bag wouldn't budge. "You've got to be joking!" she said in exasperation. She could feel the blood rush to her head and entertained the idea of staying out here all night until Paul found her the next morning dead. What a lovely way to die was the only thing she could think.

Paul was holding the phone as he paced, going as far as the wires would let him. His conversation with Jane was intense, and just when they were about to hang up, he stopped in front of the window and froze. Fast movements caught his attention, and all he could do was dread the idea that a fan found their way into his house. He looked at the moving person, and his mouth fell open at the sight. It was Natalie, hanging upside down over his fence with her arms flailing wildly as she attempted to set herself loose, "Erm, Jane I have to go." He said finally, "I'll call you later." He hung up, placed the phone down before running to the window to watch Natalie. A part of him wanted to smile in amusement, but the part of him that was still angry with her kept a straight face.

Natalie pulled her upper body up, feeling her muscles burning as she did so. She grabbed the strap of her bag and used it as leverage, and just as she did the strap snapped and she fell down, her shirt ripping in the process. She let out a yelp as she landed in a bush and rolled out of it while spitting out grass and leaves. She pulled herself up, unfolding herself from the ground and dusted herself off. While she still had some dignity, she ran her fingers through her hair and marched over to Paul's door. She knocked lightly, waiting for him to answer.