"Where is she?"

Rosalie took a step forward as he walked further into the room, her voice cold. "Close enough."

He reeled back, raising an eyebrow. "What's your problem?"

"Rose," Bella said, sounding so small. "It's okay."

I felt sick.

I knew that she'd told Charlie that she'd caught some kind of contagious disease on her honeymoon and that she was seeking treatment in isolation, but I had no clue what she'd said to Jake—if she'd told him anything at all, even.

Emmett shifted his weight, stance nonchalant but eyes narrowed. He seemed uncomfortable at Jake's aggression toward Rosalie, but nowhere near stepping in. The viciousness of her eyes was deterrent enough from trying anything.

Jacob stepped around her slowly, not attempting to hide his disgust as he looked her up and down, but then his eyes found Bella.

She was curled up on the couch, bundled in blankets, and from the angle at which he was looking at her, she didn't seem pregnant. She just looked sickly. Pallid.

"You look terrible," Jake breathed.

They shared a small smile.

"Yeah," she mumbled. "It's nice to see you too."

"So, are you going to tell me what's wrong with you?"

I tensed.

Esme quietly excused herself from the room, taking Ethan with her. Bella took a breath and looked at Rosalie.

"Rose, you want to help me up?"

She threw the blankets off her legs and shifted forward on the couch, taking Rosalie's outstretched hands and levering herself up onto her feet.

His face was indescribable.

I'd never seen him look so horrified. So offended, so hurt. It shattered my heart, and riled red-hot anger in my gut.

In a split-second, he was in Edward's face, teeth bared and shouting, "You did this!". Emmett's hand was on his shoulder, then, stopping him dead in his tracks, but he smacked the hand away.

"We didn't even know it was possible," Carlisle said, attempting to reason.

Jake whirled around. "What is it?"

"I'm not sure. Ultrasounds and needles won't penetrate the embryonic sac."

"I can't see anything either," Alice said as she stepped into the room, obviously having heard the commotion. She sounded small with defeat. "And I can't see Bella's future anymore."

"We've been researching legends," Carlisle added, rubbing his eyes. "But there isn't much to go on. What we do know is that it's strong. And fast-growing."

Jake's lip curled. "Why haven't you done anything? Take it out of her!"

Rosalie was in his face again. "This is none of your business, dog."

"All of this fighting isn't good for Bella," Emmett said in a soft, quiet tone.

"The foetus isn't good for Bella!" Alice countered, finding her volume again.