We signed it, before discussing what time Delilah's social worker would bring her round.

"How does three o clock sound?" Kate asked, pulling up her sleeve and glancing at her expensive-looking wristwatch. "That should give us enough time to get all her things sorted."

"Perfect," I breathed, speaking for the first time in what felt like forever. "We'll see you then."

"Great!" Mary said, standing from her desk as an indication that our meeting was over. "That's all sorted then. Easy. Thank you for coming ladies, it was lovely to see you again."

"Likewise," Alex said with a smile.

We both shook her hand before leaving the room, breathing a simultaneous sigh of relief as the door clicked shut behind us.

I turned, wrapping my arms around her neck. "God, it's really happening. We've got her, Alex. She's going to be ours this afternoon."

I couldn't quite believe that I was going to have a child. Admittedly children had never really been part of my life plan, not that I really had one. I simply realised that I'd grown to love Delilah, and she deserved someone who could give her that love. I'd first proposed the idea to Alex eight months ago. She was scared at first, of course, but the moment she met her she realised just how much Delilah needed a couple like us. And so, we'd decided to apply to adopt her.

"I know," she breathed. "We're going to be a family, Evie. Fuck, what if she decides she hates us?"

I rolled my eyes. "Now who's the one worrying? Stop, she already loves us. Come on, let's go home. We need to get her room ready."

I drove us back to our three bedroom cottage on the outskirts of town, a place we'd found and bought just five months ago. We were in the process of redecorating, but the majority of it was done. Delilah's room in particular was finished, with pale pink walls and grey furnishings. It felt homely and sweet, and I was praying to God that she felt comfortable in there. I was so desperate for this to work out.

For the next two hours I forced Alex into cleaning the house top to bottom. We hoovered and polished and tidied until there wasn't a single surface in sight that didn't look clean.

"Can we please stop now?" Alex groaned as I bleached the sink and began scrubbing it with a sponge. "She'll be here in half an hour and I'm getting quite tempted to take a sip of that bleach."

I rolled my eyes. "Let me finish up here and then we'll stop."

She smirked, tiptoeing towards me from behind and winding her slender arms around my waist. She planted strawberry kisses on my shoulder and neck, and I couldn't help but smile and close my eyes in momentary bliss.

"Evie," Alex hummed, elongating the end of my name in a similar way to how a child would speak to their mother when asking for more chocolate.

"What?"

She moved her lips around to the side of my face and parked them beside me ear, whispering: "Take me to bed."

I laughed with a shake of my head. "Stop it, we don't have time for sex. Now do something useful and dry those dishes."

I could feel her smiling as she slid her fingers down to the waist of my jeans, unbuttoning them slowly and moving her hand inside. It took all my power to stop her, turning around with a giggle and holding onto her wrist to stop her venturing into my underwear.