Chapter 2

Please let me know if you’re enjoying the story so far! Enjoy!!

Chapter 2

Carter’s POV 

In the taxi, the driver asks me where I want to go and I don’t know the answer. I want to go back home but I don’t want to face everyone. I don’t want to be cradled, I just want to think and clear my head.

“Hey little girl, I got other customers waiting. Where are you headed?”

I don’t know Bird’s address. I don’t know the prison’s address.

“Do you know where the prison is?” He raises his eyebrows and rolls his eyes.

“The one outside of town?” 

“I-I’m not sure. Where would they keep someone whose about to have a court hearing?” I ask but I’m not even sure if his sentence has been finalized or not.

He nods his head and starts the car.

“Can I borrow your phone?” I ask and he eyes me in the rearview mirror. 

He hands me the phone anyway. I call the house phone because I don’t have anyone else’s phone number memorized.

“Hello?” It’s Grant. Thank. God. 

“Hey, Armadillo.” I smile silently but I’m sure he can hear it on the other end.

 “Carter! Are you okay? Where are you? Hold on, I’m calling mom. She’s at the station, we’ll come get you right now! Daaaad! It’s Carter!”

 “Hey, wait! Don’t tell them yet. Look I just want to talk to Taylor, is she there? It’s so good to hear your voice. I’ll tell you everything when I get back but I just have to take care of something first, okay?”

 “What do you mean? So you’re not coming back?” He asks and I can hear the excitement fading away from his voice.

 “No, I am. I just want to ask Taylor something. Look, I’ll call mom in a couple of hours okay? Just put Taylor on.” He sighs but I know he won’t turn his back on me. 

“Hold on.” I wait and I can hear him climb up the stairs. 

“Carter? Grant told me you we’re going somewhere. What is going on? Where is Lori?” She’s hyperventilating and I can barely make out any words.

“Taylor, I’m okay I promise. I miss you guys so much. I want to see Crash. I want to apologize. Do you know where they’re keeping him? I know you’re the last person I should be asking but I didn’t know who to call…” I can hear my voice cracking. This was such a bad idea. 

“Hey, it’s okay… I understand. I don’t like it but I understand.”

Taylor confirms that they’re keeping him in the place the driver predicted. 

“Thank you so much. I’m going to call mom from there, okay?”

I get her phone number and write it down on my hand.

I don’t know what I’ll say to him or if he’ll even want to see me but I need to explain myself.

The car pulls up and my legs freeze under me. How am I supposed to pay this guy?

“Uhm…I don’t…” 

He sighs and unlocks the doors.

 “Just get out.” I do as I’m told and hope that nothing worse will happen.