Twenty minutes later I pulled up in the entrance, parking my car beside Alex's Mini Cooper and pulling out my phone.

She'd sent me a text. "Evie, I'm at the fish pond if you remember where that is... Hurry, I'm cold!"

With a bemused frown, I put my hood up and pulled black gloves over my fingers, scrambling out the car with my arms folded and heading across the parking lot and onto the field, glancing round at the school as I went. It still looked the same as ever, aside from a few new benches dotted about, but a strong sensation of reminiscence crept over me.

A tidal wave of memories from my school year here flooded me as I ploughed through the snow, and I couldn't help but smile as I casted my mind back.

Eventually I was at the back of the field by the crowd of white-sprinkled trees, and despite the darkness outside, I could see faint light on the other side of them. With a frown, I made my way through the gap and round the corner, into the illuminated circle of trees. The fish pond was stood on the right where it had always been, the wooden bench on the left, covered in a thin dusting of snow.

As I looked around, I noticed the light was coming from the canopy of fairy lights above my head, wrapped from tree to tree to create a ceiling of illumination above me.

As I gasped in awe, it was then that I noticed her stood right in the centre, hands in the pockets of her black coat.

I grinned confusedly as I saw her, moving slowly towards her. "Alex, what on earth... How long did this take you?"

"A little while," she smirked with a shrug as I approached.

"Why?" I asked with a laugh, glancing upwards.

"Evie," she said with a smile and a deep breath as I stood before her. "I've got a few things to say and I need you for once in your life to just shut up and listen. Do you think you can do that for me?"

I grinned but nodded, miming zipping my lips shut with my fingers.

"Good," she said, flashing her pearly white teeth and inhaling deeply. "Okay, well here goes, I guess. I met you three years ago at this very school and the first thing I thought was, 'fuck, this girl is going to be a pain in my ass.' Of course, as always, I was right. But, that being said, I got to know you and underneath the asshole was actually the kindest, most thoughtful girl I've ever known. And trust me I was shocked, because I've known girls like you before and they never turned out half as good." I laughed with a shake of my head as she spoke. "You loved to push everyone's buttons, especially mine, but you gave me a glimpse of who you really were. When I brought you to this little fish pond, I told you about my family and you listened. You cared, and I was so grateful. The more time we spent together, the more I realised that you were the only one I ever wanted to see. I loved you, and it scared me. We went through so much shit, Evie, but I don't regret it. It's brought us to where we are today. And that day at your graduation where I saw you on stage after months of not seeing you, I just knew that you were the only person I wanted in this whole world. But the last thing I said to you was that if it was meant to be, it would be, and for the next three years I thought that I'd just lost you forever. And it hurt, more than anything." She teared up as she spoke, and a lump rose in my own throat. "But then you turned up, practically on my doorstep, three years later and I just knew that my feelings were as strong as ever. The more time we spent together the more it became obvious to me. And yes, I tried to deny it, but lying to myself didn't work. Now people may think this is soon, but if there's one thing I've learnt over the past few years it's that you should never let a good thing go to waste, and Evie, I don't ever want to let you go again. Despite your terrible temper and your cooking skills that resemble a six year old's, I love you, more than I've ever loved anything in the entire world. When I'm with you I want nothing else, because you're everything I've ever needed, everything I've ever dreamed of having." She took a deep breath as a tear rolled down her cheek, and I reached up to wipe it away with my gloved finger. "So I had a question that I wanted to ask you, and I decided where better than on the grounds of the place we first met." Alex bent down, placing one knee on the floor and pulling a small black box from her pocket. She lifted it to me with shaky hands and a firm smile. "Evie Bella Luis, I was wondering if you'd like to be my wife?"

I gasped, placing my hands over my mouth as I stared down at her in disbelief. Tears danced down my cheeks and dropped off my chin into the snow. I laughed and cried at the same time, my stomach fluttering in shock and happiness. With a deep breath, I nodded, wrapping my arms around her neck.

"Yes, of course I'll marry you. I love you so much, oh my god, I really do." I cried joyfully into her shoulder and she cried into mine.

Eventually I pulled her up from the ground as she opened the box, uncovering the most beautiful silver diamond ring. It wasn't too flashy or big, just quietly beautiful in its own brilliant way. I loved it.

I pulled off my glove and she placed it gently onto my ring finger. "Perfect," I breathed, staring at her with more tears in my eyes.

I jumped onto her suddenly, wrapping my legs around her waist and imprisoning her in my arms. She laughed as I hugged her tightly, and I'd never felt so happy in my entire life.

She spun me around as she snow fell heavier, landing in snowflakes in my hair. All of a sudden I couldn't feel the cold anymore, all I could feel was the warmth from her body radiating across mine. As I pressed my face into her shoulder, I wondered how on earth a heart like hers could ever be in my possession.

Eventually, she placed me back on the ground, and I pressed my lips against hers, holding her face with my hands as our lips melted into each other's. "I love you so much, Alex," I whispered when we finally pulled apart.

She beamed back down at me. "I love you even more."

Once again, I wrapped my arms around her waist, nestling my head into her chest as we swayed on the spot, moving in slow circles beneath the ever-falling snow.

It had taken us three years to get here, and there had been times when I never thought this would happen, but finally we had arrived. We were happy and together, and I knew that as long as it stayed that way, nothing could ever be that bad anymore. There wasn't anything that could scare me more than losing her, no pain worse than the heartbreak I'd felt in the past. I suddenly felt invincible, like there wasn't a single thing the world could throw at me anymore. And I was probably wrong; it was very likely that there would be difficult times, that my life would continue on this roller coaster of ups and downs, but I had Alex by my side for it, and that was all that mattered to me.

She was here in amongst my arms, and she would soon be the woman I'd marry.