³¹

nicks announcement came out to his parents that night over dinner. finn thought it was wrong of his brother to take the nights attention off of violet. violet only felt warmth. she was undeniably happy for him.

marriage was something she dreamt about, and never expected for herself. she just wasnt the type is what she had been told, surprisingly on several occasions. she began to believe it.

so to see someone so close to her take that path, it was nothing but happiness and a wash of peace.

finns parents were overwhelmingly proud of violet, buying everyone their meal that night. to them, they were celebrating nothing but family. their son engaged; and what they considered a daughter, on her way to becoming more successful than what violet realized.

that moment, sitting around in a pub. filled with people violet loved unconditionally. jack sitting across from her in a smile, finns hand rested gently in her lap as his fingers held hers. the success that fell to her shoulders for what she was accomplishing.
that was where she wanted to be. she couldn't have asked for anything more.

she had her family back.

"so violet." finns dad speaks up from across the table. somehow, everyone in their party heard, shutting down their own conversations to listen.
"you go to los angeles now, right?"

"yes." she nods, setting her drink down to the table.
"within the next couple weeks or so. they haven't said much about it yet."

"you're moving down there then? at the event they said you'd be gone for months."

a lump forms in finns throat. he looks over to violet with worried eyes. he never even considered that this new job meant that she would have to leave vancouver.

"i guess i'm," she glances to finn.
"i'm not sure yet."

he didn't feel like talking after that. it wasn't her fault, he wasn't mad. it was the pit in his stomach that was absolutely tearing him apart. the sudden worry that he would loose it all again.

as the night dies down, the couple leaves late. most of their family had cleared out, only leaving the band and violet.

violet mistook finns silence through it all as sleepiness. so she excuses them from the night and plans to meet up with the band real soon.

violet and finn take their separate cars home, and for whatever reason she spent the ride home feeling absolutely nothing but guilt.

she follows his car down the highway, the speedometer reaching almost ninety. she was barely able to keep up with him. as shes lost in the thoughts of his speed, she begins to think back to how quiet he had been since dinner. the way he got into his car without a word to her. not telling her that he loves her and to drive safe like he typically made sure to do.

he wasnt mad at her, but it was how violet took it. it stressed her out, self conscious over if she really had done anything.

regardless, the two get home. finn helping himself into the building without her.

he takes the stairway, violet trying to catch up with him. it wasn't much use, he had a decent head start on her.

"finn!" she calls after him, her voice ricocheting off the yellow walls of the stairwell. deafening herself in her own voice. and still, he continued on. ignoring her in order to collect himself.

violet meets up with him in their apartment, walking into the dark for he had made his way through without bothering to flip a light on.

"finn." she calls again, only assuming that he would be present in the bedroom.