"Dyson? Is—" I began, worried about Jared all over again.

"Where have you been?" He ran his blazing eyes from my loose hair to my sneakers.

"What do you mean? I've been—"

"You're not allowed to leave the pack house on your own."

"But—" I thought that since Jared left, I would have a bit more freedom. Yet apparently Dyson was even more overprotective than Jared.

"I'm in charge while Jared's away."

I couldn't understand why these werewolves were so overprotective. I would have thought them to be more reckless and fun-loving.

"Until Jared returns you're not allowed to leave the pack house unescorted. Either you call me or ask one of the warriors."

I had it on the tip of my tongue to tell him how ridiculous he was being, however, the always present voice in the back of my mind sewed my mouth shut before I could. Instead, all I did was nod and then turn back in the direction of the pack house.

Annoyed with his boorish behavior I didn't watch where I was going. Instead of taking another step forward, the front of my shoe caught into something and I began to fall forward. I would have landed face first in the dirt, if it weren't for Dyson. He grabbed my forearm and pulled me back up before I could even see the individual ants that crawled across the ground.

"This is exactly why I made the decision." He made sure I was steady back on my own feet and then let go.

We walked the rest of the way in silence, until we reached the pack house.

"You can't leave without me or another pack warrior as an escort." Dyson repeated his instruction the moment we entered the building.

"I never thought I'd say this, but you sound even worse than Jared." Dyson and I turned to find Molly walking down the hallway toward us. "Do all of you really think she's incompetent just because she's a human? By the way, what if I'm the one to escort her outside? Do I count?"

Dressed in a pair of shorts and a sports bra, she stopped a couple of steps away from us and rested her hands on her hips. I hadn't noticed this before, but she had an envy worthy stomach. Not only was it absolutely flat, but I could also see the outline of her six-pack.

"You're not an official pack warrior, so no." Dyson shook his head.

"Yet. I'm not a pack warrior yet. Just wait and see. I'm going to be one of the strongest warriors this pack has ever seen."

"Not if I can help it."

The voice belonged to Mrs Braxton, who descended the last flight of stairs and joined our little group. While Dyson and I politely nodded in greeting, Molly narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Good morning, Naia. How are you?" Mrs. Braxton, however, didn't seem at all bothered by her daughter's scowl.

"Good."

I glanced from Mrs. Braxton to Molly and then at Dyson, wondering if he perhaps knew what the thickening atmosphere was about. The said guy, however, shot me a pointed look that either warned me to behave or not to leave the house, and then excused himself.

When I turned back to Molly, I found her glaring at her mother for another heartbeat. Then without saying anything she maneuvered past me and exited the house.

"Foolish pup." Mrs. Braxton shook her head at the closed door and then turned back to me. "Have you had breakfast yet?"

"No."