Chapter XXIV: The Drunken Shepherd

Depuis le début

"I'm almost out of moves," Avernus said to himself.

"Fine, you're on. But I'm warning you; you might get hurt."

Avernus grinned agreeably. "That's the spirit, Velvet. So it's a date then."

Velvet blushed slightly and groaned at him. "Hmph!" Velvet quickly returned to her cabin without uttering a single word.

Avernus thought that nothing could put a dent in that glacier heart of hers. But somehow, his desire to help her was turning to something more, even if he didn't want to admit it.

Grimoirh heard their conversation and giggled. She was lying sideways on one of the barrels nearby, sunbathing. At first, Avernus didn't notice her presence. Her tiny body evaded the eyes of many.

"What are you giggling about?" Avernus asked, looking displeased.

"About you, Avernus, looking content. You even glow, darling. So shameless."

Grimorih had his full attention. "Shameless?" He asked.

Grimoirh nodded, "Yes. You know, radiating joy and affection, teasing that girl any chance you get, while everyone here has to face death and the Abbey and a bleak future...terrible bragging to everyone that I want to have my way... something along those lines."

If Velvet didn't tease him, others would do that on her behalf. Grimoirh continued. "You know, Avernus, everyone is scared of her, except for you."

"I have no reason to be scared. Velvet is not a threat."

"That's pretty much obvious to everyone. Velvet seems to be overprotective of Laphicet." Grimorih said with a puzzling look.

"Yeah, Laphicet is irresistible. Eleanor and Velvet are fighting over him all the time."

"Laphicet is a different case. He needs people to learn from them. He looks up to you, Velvet, Rokurou, and Eizen and sees you as his family. You must be very careful with him." Grimorih advised.

Grimoirh's speech felt like she was scolding him. "I wouldn't let anything happen to Laphicet nor allow him to learn something inappropriate for his age."

"That's what I wanted to see and hear from a responsible adult. But what about you? Sometimes, I question the wisdom of a Shepherd being involved in such an affair." Grimoirh said intently, willing to dig deeper.

"It's getting to feel like an interrogation. I told you, I'm not a Shepherd, nor my decision has to do anything with anyone anymore. That's all in the past."

Grimoirh sighed. That man was so touchy about this subject. "Velvet is a cunning woman. A daemon. She will use you for her own ends."

Avernus was disturbed. He was getting sensitive about Velvet too. "You don't know her, Grimoirh. It's not your right to judge."

Grimoirh relaxed once again and laid on her back, smiling slightly. "I'm telling you what I see and what my instincts tell me."

Avernus knew what others saw from the outside; Velvet was sometimes intimidating, and having Avernus wanting to spend time with her seemed to be dangerous for him. "I'm here to offer her my help. Velvet may even hate me, but it doesn't affect my plan."

"Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it," Grimoirh said. "I know that you have the right to keep your reasons to yourself. You're an interesting bunch. Everything is different and unexpected. About Velvet hating you, I think you're wrong."

"What makes you say that?"

Grimoirh noticed his face beaming up. "Don't let it go over your head. It doesn't happen often, but I see Velvet smile to herself, sometimes when she's watching you from afar or from a corner that she thinks nobody can see her or can't notice someone as small as me."