Krii7y - "Imaginary Friend"

(Another thing I wrote in the past few months and am only just now posting)

Another gift I did for the BBS discord I'm in. It's a hell of a lot longer than it was supposed to be but I hope it's enjoyable enough? I'm not very satisfied with the ending but-

Also I've never really written either of these bois so I apologize greatly if I didnt do them justice.

~

Ever since he could first talk, everyone in his family always labelled John as the weird one; the "special" child. They would hide behind doors and whisper about him as though he couldn't hear, but he knew, he always heard the things they said.

How they called him strange for not playing with the other kids, how they said he was rude for the things he spoke out loud, how they made him out to be crazy for laughing with himself when he was "alone".

They just didn't understand though. John wasn't crazy, the little strong spoken child would swear it to any and all who opposed his statements.

He wasn't alone in those moments, no. The others just couldn't see his companions. The wispy figures who floated, danced, played, laughed with him. The only beings in the whole universe who seemed to understand the eccentric child. Maybe they should've scared him more, what with some of the mysterious entities being more creature-like than human; red eyes and black auras plaguing their very essence.

John didn't mind though, he was just happy to have those who understood, who were there, who could see the others, who would speak to him like he was normal.

John was 7 years old when he first appeared.

Dirty blond locks drifted in the wind slightly as small fingers gripped old chains. He swung back and forth lazily on the decrepit swing set, curious eyes gazing across the almost empty park. The only signs of human life being his parents and one other family, whose child was running around the monkey bars laughing.

It was just another attempt from his parents to get him to play with other kids, being out here, but John remained set in avoiding other children. Instead he sat on his swing, ignoring his parents gestures and requests for him to approach the young girl now climbing the bars.

A small smile set on his slightly chubby face as a familiar chill gripped his spine, cold autumn breeze picking up and ruffling his hair. Stopping in his slow movements and leaning back on his seat, John looked behind him to be met with the sight of a white glow.

"Hey there!" his slightly excited small voice called out, bringing a twitch to the white mass. The ivory aura drifted over to him, settling itself in front of the swing with less than elegant movements.

The child was quick to make out the white figure, blobby white wisps taking form of another young boy. Wild fluffy hair adorned the other's head, while peculiar heterochromatic red-blue eyes glowed up at him through the pale glimmer.

"You... can see me? I thought your kind couldn't?" The entity tilted its head slightly with its question, voice soft and inquisitive.

John just smiled more and nodded his head. "I've always been able to see you guys, y'know, all the glowy guys!" He let out cheerfully, gesturing around himself with no real aim or reason. "What's your name?"

Bi-colored eyes stared him down for a few moments before noiseless footsteps made their way to the swing next to his own. "Smitty." The singular word cut through the silence, another gust of cool wind rushing between the two instantly. Despite the cold, a warmth seemed to settle in John's stomach.

"Smitty? That's a pretty weird name," he teased, swinging back and forth once more, laughing at the sudden pout brought to the other's features.

"Oh yeah? What's your name then, butt-munch?" Smitty shot back, pointing a finger at him, causing John to laugh again lightheartedly. Any response he could've given was cut short though at the sudden appearance of his parents, who came up with concerned looks on their faces. His mother crouched in front of him, hand coming out to grab one of his own.