Yule Ball ⚜ Chapter Eighteen

It was Christmas Eve. I woke up to my dormmates squealing and trying on their gowns for that night. They were exploding with excitement as I groaned and turned my back to them, trying to get at least another thirty minutes of sleep. 

        Once I was able to sleep in a bit more than usual and my dorm was free of jumpy girls, I got up and got ready for the day. Before I could exit the room, the dress in my closet glistened enough to catch my eye. I walked over to it and picked it up by the hanger, bringing it over to the full length mirror. I brought the hanger up to my collarbone, picturing the dress on my body. I ran my fingers against the silk skirt which felt smoother than butter. I imagined Ron standing there watching me and I did a little twirl in front of the mirror. I smiled softly to myself as I put the dress back until it was time for the ball.

        As the day went on, I became more nervous. I began to overthink everything as per usual, but Luna was there to calm my racing thoughts. She always had such a calming presence that helped soothed me in the worst of times. 

        I had invited both Luna and Dobby to help me get ready for the ball that night, and the time was now ticking. I made my way to the dorm where the other girls were already getting dressed for the dance. Makeup was being smeared and gowns were being thrown on, jewelry all amiss and panicking girls rushing to get ready on time. I wasn't in such a hurry as they were. In fact, I was hoping to be fashionably late just to make a grand entrance with my date. I wanted everyone to see the feelings I had for my redheaded Weasley. I wanted them to see the way I looked at him. 

        My dormmates all left for the dance while I waited for Dobby and Luna to arrive, getting rather impatient at this point. As soon as my foot started tapping nervously, Dobby suddenly appeared out of thin air holding Luna's hand. 

        "Dobby!" I exclaimed in annoyance. "I wanted to be fashionably late! Not miss the entire thing!"

        "Dobby's apologies, Miss! Dobby didn't want (Y/N) to get in trouble if someone saw us sneak in." 

        "Ah, you're right. Thank you, Dobby." 

        Luna stepped forward and revealed a long, thin box she had been holding behind her back. "We got you a little something. We both chipped in." Luna smiled at me. 

        Dobby jumped up and down. "Ooo yes, yes! Open it, open it!" 

        My mouth was open in surprise. "You did not..." I was in disbelief. 

        Luna handed me the box and nodded at me to open it. I hesitantly undid the twine that held the box closed and lifted the lid. Laying in the box was a pair of white, silk, elbow length gloves. 

        "Oh no, these are too nice." I didn't even want to think about the cost. "They are so lovely..." I admired the elegant gloves. 

        "Once I saw your dress, I knew these would match perfectly." Luna said. 

        "Clothes are the best gift!" Dobby chimed in excitedly. 

        "You guys are the best. I don't deserve such amazing friends." I squished them into a tight group hug. 

        After I suffocated Luna and Dobby with hugs, we got to work on getting me all done up for the ball. Luna helped me with my makeup as Dobby slipped on a simple silver heel for me. I left my hair down and straight, but kept it tucked behind my ears and behind my shoulders. I put in some stunning round sapphire earrings with the same white gemstones around them as seen on the neckline of my dress. The only thing left now was to get my dress and gloves on.