Rain Drop ⚜ Chapter Six

In the Library, I sat at a table that was in the farthest corner of the room away from everyone. I sat in a chair right next to one of the rather big windows they had in the Library. It was raining heavily outside and I watched as the rain drops hit the window and slithered their way down to the window sill. With my elbow on the table, I rest my cheek in my palm and continued my gaze out into the gloomy day. The weather matched my somber mood, so I easily found myself in deep thought. 

        Seeing Death face-to-face like that shook me and scrambled up my head space, like it wasn't scrambled enough to begin with. As a child I would lay awake at night overthinking every little thing about life and death. What exactly is the meaning of this all? Do we even have a purpose? What happens when we lose consciousness for good? Is there an afterlife or do we spend infinity in darkness? I didn't want to lose consciousness ever. I didn't even want to sleep because of my fear of not waking the next day. I just wanted control over my life. I wanted control over the person I was and the person people perceived me to be. My family name had too much control over me. 

        After I was done feeling sorry for myself and wallowing in my own sorrow, I cleared my mind and completely zoned out. My eyes focused on a single rain drop at a time and followed it's journey down the glass. Sometimes a rain drop would cross paths with another, becoming one with the other droplet and making their own new path together. I envied how the rain could connect with another so easily. That's what I wanted. 

        "Hey." a voice took me by surprise and out of my head. My attention went from the window to the figure coming up to me. Ron. 

        Ron took the seat directly in front of me. "Hi..." I responded, utterly shocked and confused as to why he was even speaking to me. 

        "Are you alright?" he asked.

        "Yeah... I'm fine." I looked at my hands that rest on the table. 

        "You sure? That boggart of yours looked pretty nasty." 

        I forced a slight smile and half of a chuckle. "Heh, well it sure wasn't any Snape."

        "You're telling me, mine was a giant spider for bloody sake. I probably look like a wimp compared to you." he said.

        I looked up at him and this time my smile was real. "Just between you and me, spiders give me the creeps too." I chuckled. 

        He looked me in the eye and returned the smile. I could almost see a shimmer dancing in his light blue eyes. "Well I had better be off to class now." he got up out of the seat awkwardly, standing there for a moment as if he was debating whether or not to say anything else. "Oh, and I'm sorry about that time in the halls." 

        I smiled and nodded to him in response. I watched him walk away and I gathered my things to go to my next class. My stomach couldn't stop doing somersaults and my mind was racing.

  ⚜

        I walked into the Herbology greenhouse for class and spotted Luna. I smiled brightly and greeted her as I stood beside her. 

        "I overheard some students talking about the events that took place earlier, but you look rather chipper." Luna observed. 

        "What did you hear exactly?" I asked curiously. 

        "Mostly talk about Harry Potter's boggart being a Dementor and Lupin having to end class early. I hear your boggart was similar though, was it a Dementor as well?"

        "No..." I glanced down. "It was more of a personification of death." 

        "Oh my... both sound very disturbing." Luna said to me dreamily. "But what changed your mood so quickly?" she referred to why I looked so happy walking into class. 

        My smile returned to my lips reflexively as I thought about what happened in the Library. I leaned towards Luna and spoke in a low voice just in case any ears were listening in. "Ron and I properly spoke for the first time." 

        Luna looked genuinely happy for me. "Oh (Y/N), that's great news." She of course knew how long this little crush had lasted and how much I had been struggling internally with being outcast. I told her before how I thought he might hate me like everyone else, so I'm sure it was nice to hear that he had been kind to me. 

        Then a thought hit me. Harry Potter had a nasty boggart too, and he was Ron's best friend. Why would Ron go out of his way to check on me when he had his best friend to worry about as well? 

        I assumed after hearing Harry Potter had a bad run in with the boggart, that everyone would be occupied with that gossip and forget about mine. Wrong I was. I was getting the dirty looks I'd receive occasionally much more often, and even some pointing and whispering from other students. I'd much rather be invisible than be the center of everyone's latest gossip. 

        Besides the whispers and stares, the rest of class went smoothly as I caught up with Luna during our assignment. 

  ⚜

        i just saw the second fantastic beasts film last night at the theatre, a day before the official release. has anyone else seen it yet or is anyone planning on seeing it? let me know your thoughts on it!