Chapter 6

"A guy came here earlier about a college scholarship. Here he left a calling card." My mom handed me the business card.

Mayor Salvatore's executive secretary

"You didn't tell me you're dating the mayor's son, oh my that is quite a catch."

"Most likely going to bribe me with scholarship to leave his son." I told her.

"Then you should take it, be practical. How long do you think your relationship with that guy will last?"

My mom got a good point, as much I want to be hopeful I can't say Ezio and I will be last that long and the opportunity to study without thinking of the piling bills is once in a lifetime for me.

"You have to be wise kiddoo, you can go to medical school now just like you wanted." She encourage me.

"I don't know mom. I'll think about it."I can feel my mom's eyes on me as I retreat in my room.

What to choose?

A fix future or a budding romance?

When I think of it like that I know the logical one weighs more. Ezio will hate me, if he is serious in our relationship there's a chance I will lose him.

Why can't I choose both?

Now I'm just being greedy, this is for his own good too. He can focus on his studies again like he used to. I wasn't even in his original plans. I am a major roadblock, I know it to myself and he might regret staying.

.......

I feel out of place with my jeans an t-shirt outfit. I've never been to a expensive restaurant before and I know some heads will turn but I don't what to look pretentious so I didn't make an effort to dress up, I am not freaking meeting my future father-in-law. The meeting was to seal it to un- future one.

"Good morning, please sit down Ms. Scott." I nodded and do as the mayor says.

"I'm here to accept your offer." I was surprise to see the shock painted on his face.

"Oh my, alright, right down to business." He chuckled.

"Don't get me wrong I love your son and that is why I'm choosing this. When I heard Ezio turning down a chance to study in Harvard, I thought it was bullshit. Eventhough he said it wasn't because of me." I shook my head. "He might regret not going and the blame falls on me."

He open his mouth but I stop him.

"I know I am fool for thinking I still have him after I accepted your help, but I'm doing not only for me. I sure know you won't give your blessings to us if I just stay behind your son's shadow."

"I'm glad we're on same page Ms. Scott." He smiled at me. "I didn't expect my son dating a sensible girl this time. And please let's not make this some bad shit telenovela. I'm not against you two."

He took a sip of his ice cold water before he continues.

"What I want is for you two take it slow, you have no idea how fast Ezio were taking things... He even..." He stop finishing the sentence.

Ezio what?

"What I want you two do is focus on your studies apart if necessary. You see to some people a education degree is just a piece of paper they can display on the wall but not me. I take pride from it."

I nodded. I guess it's his own way of saying I didn't raise 'entitled much' kids.

"Ezio can't know about this, he will resent you."

"He might even rebel." He added.

"I can't let this opportunity to pass for something I am not sure will last. My mom's a trainwreck when it comes to relationship so I really don't have a role model. Lasting relationship is uncommon for us." I admitted.

"I will have my secretary prepare everything. You don't have to worry about anything. I'll even fix a job for you if you decided to come back."