You Had To Ask

This is a oneshot for the lemon queen Dr-Cokebottles

It was late at night, and Shancai was lying in bed with her husband, unable to fall asleep as she thought about all the crazy, and sometimes painful, things they'd been put through just to get to where they were now. One particular event was replaying in her mind: the engagement meeting that had introduced them to Xiaozi. She remembered how Daoming Si had run out of the room, tightly gripping Xiaozi's hand, leaving Shancai standing there feeling like a complete idiot. He later had told Shancai that he'd meant to grab her hand instead, which she didn't believe at the time. Now another question nagged at her: what had he planned to do with her?

"Ah Si?" Shancai called her husband softly, unsure if he'd already fallen asleep. "Hm?" came his muffled reply, as his face was smushed into a pillow. He turned to blearily stare at his wife. "What is it?" he asked. Shancai opened her mouth to speak, then blushed, feeling too embarrassed to ask what she wanted to know. "No, it's nothing. Sorry for disturbing you. You can go back to sleep." Ah Si's curiosity was piqued, and he sat up, leaning over and invading her personal space. "Oh won't you tell your dear husband?" he said in a smooth voice.

Shancai leaned back in an attempt to create some space between Daoming Si's face and her own, but her back touched the cold wood of the headboard, trapping her. The blush on Shancai's cheeks deepened as she realized this, and she turned her head away. "I told you, it's not important," she stammered out, hoping he'd relent. But this was Daoming Si, and she should have known better by now. "Please, baby, tell me what's bothering you?" he pleaded his wife, his voice like satin. Damn him for using his charm against me like that, Shancai thought as Ah Si gripped her chin between his thumb and index finger, turning her head to meet his gaze.

"I-it's stupid," Shancai said weakly, squirming under her husband's intense gaze. "Tell me," he said again. Shancai swallowed, then asked, "Uh, do you remember the engagement meeting?"Ah Si's brow furrowed as he thought about it. "The one where my mother tried to set me up with Xiaozi?" he replied, his tone tinged with confusion. "Mhm," Shancai answered with a nod. Ah Si winced at the memory, he did remember, and honestly, he wished he didn't. That meeting had driven an even bigger wedge between him and Shancai, had hurt them emotionally. "Yes, I remember. What about it?" he asked. "If you'd grabbed my hand instead of her's, what were you going to do?" Shancai queried as she looked at Ah Si's confused facial expression.

He scratched his head, and said, "Truth be told, I didn't think that far ahead. In that moment, I just wanted to get away from my mother and be with you. Especially since you thought I knew about it, which I didn't." Shancai's eyes flitted away, remembering that sting of jealousy and insecurity she felt when she'd first laid eyes on the He heiress. She was everything Shancai wasn't: rich, tall, beautiful. "Well, what do you think you would have done?" Shancai pressed. Ah Si paused, what would he have done? What he would've wanted to do was take her somewhere where they would be alone, so they could talk things out, which he'd hoped would lead to other things, like kissing, getting together, or becoming each other's in every way. Hmmm, maybe I can show her, he thought.

"I'd rather show than tell," he said, and Shancai once again blushed at the hidden meaning in his words. He pulled her close, and she tried to hide her face in his chest. "Uh-Uh, naughty." he said, pushing her so she was lying on her back, and when she tried to bring her hands up to cover her embarrassed face, he pinned her wrists to the mattress. Shancai's breath hitched, as she looked at her husband's hungry gaze as it trailed down her body. "Listen to me," he commanded, looking down at his wife as he held her firmly in place. Her eyes were darting all over Ah Si's face, and knowing it was pointless to push him off, she nodded and waited.