<Chapter 2: Acquisitions>

Natalie Portman as Willie Holloway, pictured above 

[Setting continued from last chapter]

[Time: 2230 hours (US-Pacific)]

<Jem Holloway>

Mr. Takeda pulled something out of one of his pockets. It's a syringe that contains an orange fluid I have not identified yet, assuming it was some kind of modified adrenaline shot.

He injected me with a shot that allows me to regain my best condition in no time. He also quickly went to my wife and injected the same shot.

My wife was quickly revitalized by that shot. It kept me wondering...

Where did they get all these advanced stuff?

How did they manage to strike fear into the hearts of that spirit? They even called it a high value target, for humanity's sake!

What is this DDD? I know they told me earlier what it stands for, but I have not seen their capabilities fully.

I felt my body rejuvenate faster and quickly removed my restraint, but getting a bit hurt in the process because some apparatus in this hospital really gets under my skin. Like, literally.

Then I quickly went over to my wife at the other bed. She started waking up, gasping for air immediately right after waking up from unconsciousness, then breathing multiple times in rapid succession.

She had that curious look on her face, looking at me rather quickly.

"Jem? How did you wake up? And who's that man over there?"

"No time to explain. We have to go as quickly as possible." I answered hurriedly, because I felt that we do not have enough time to stick around.

Yes, I finally lost my stutter, too. That really was a wonder drug.

Then Mr. Takeda continued, in a low Japanese-accented voice. "Your spouse here is right, Madam. You will have to come with us. We are assembling a team of individuals. Me and my companion Mal is what the Directorate call Recruiters."

My wife still has the curious look in her face, shaking her head slightly.

"What team? Like the Avengers, Justice League, Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, Legends of Tomorrow, X-Men or the Fantastic Four?" she asked.

"Correct. We call it the Zero Squad. According to our Defense Directive, our set of rules and protocols, we need people of suitable age to create a team for global expeditions and missions."

I had to continue the conversation and remind us of something.

"Yeah. Our supplies are with us, but most of our weapons and ammunition are laid near the guards' door. We need to get them, and fast."