TOO LATE

Chapter 4: Too Late

Tee had been walking for about an hour when she came across a park. It wasn't busy as it usually would be - but it was the middle of the day, so that made sense.

The only two people in the park were a mother and her child. Tee was staring at them and it reminded her of when Hopper had told her the story about his daughter, Sara, who had died of cancer.

She'd asked about her own parents, but he had refused to tell her, resulting in a shouting contest that Tee ultimately lost.

She forgot where she was as she remembered the moment that she had ruined. Hopper and opened up to her and she'd ruined it by being selfish. She was selfish.

A woman's call made Tee's thoughts stop for just a second as her head turned to look at her. The woman was pretty, with silky brown locks and a worried look on her face.

"Is your mom here? Sweetie?" The woman asked her, Tee's state on her didn't falter, keeping her composure. She needed to seem strong, to seem normal, so she could get the information she wanted and could go an find Mike.

"Uh, the school," Tee mutters to the woman, ignoring her question, knowing from experience that asking one question always lead to many others if the first answer was unclear, "Where is t-the school?"

"The school? It's, uh it's about a mile that way," The woman says pointing east, confusion clear on her features at the girl's question, "Where are your parents?"

Tee looked over to the playground, she had to create a distraction to her away. She looked at the swing set, and with different amounts of static electricity, made the swing swing round and round.

"Look, Mommy, look," the kid said noticing it. And as soon as the woman looked away, Tee was gone.

-

About twenty minutes later, Tee had arrived at the school as most people had left. She sighed, thinking she was too late, but noticed three bikes at the bike rack. She walked over, seeing mike's bike and carefully touching the handlebars. She let out a small sigh just looking at it, a heavy feeling she was so used to hanging from her heart. She wanted to see him so desperately.

She looked over to the entrance of the school, determination clear as she walked towards them. She had to find mike. Even if he didn't see her, she needed to see his face, to see if he was okay, if he was safe.

She walked through the halls, looking left right and center when she heard his voice. She walked to where it was, left, straight, then right again. She stopped when she saw two big doors with windows in them. She moved forward slowly, not making a sound as she peered through them to see Mike, with a girl, smiling.

The girl was on a skateboard, and Mike was laughing with her, the two from Tee's angle seemed to be very good friends, maybe even more. Tee froze at the sight, jealousy boiling in her veins as she looked at the girl.

She quickly made the skateboard have static electricity, making the girl jump off in a shock as it propelled forward. Tee looked as Mike ran to help her up, grabbing her hand to stabilise her.

Tee's eyes filled with tears at the sight. She was too late, she'd lost Mike.

She looked away from the two and started to walk away without even thinking. Why did she do that? Why would he do that to her?

But he was happy. He was moving on. Why was she being selfish? Why did she think she mattered? He knew her for such a short amount of time, of course he didn't need her..

She ran out of the school with tears in her eyes, mind rushing and her legs not working fast enough. She needed to go home, pretend nothing had happened. Move on.

Mike didn't need her anymore she told herself as she hurried down the road, slowing her walking pace slowly as she knew this was the last freedom she'd see in weeks, months, even years.

Her feet were carring her as she thought deeply about what was going on. She knew what was coming to her when she got home, and it scared her, but she had to face the music eventually. She had also lost Mike, so had no reason to keep waiting anymore; he'd moved on, but she couldn't.

A car started coming past her, but she didn't think anything of it, until it stopped. The car was large and black, looking more like an army truck than a regular car.

She started walking faster, bringing her hands to her chest, when another car from behind came up, and also stopped. Then another, and another, to the point where there was four cars around her.

She stopped completely as men - soldiers - got out of the car, and her heart started beating faster as she realised who these people were and who they worked for.

The lab.

Her eyes widened as her mouth went dry, her limbs freezing and her head beginning to feel light. This was the first time in a year she'd been petrified, scared for her life, scared for her future. She was about to be set back to last year, as if nothing had happened and she hadn't escaped.

She had to get away, she couldn't go back there. Over her dead body.

"Stay back!" She shouted viciously at them as they started drawing closer. Her order sounded like a bark - like a dog barking at a cat to scare it off. But they didn't listen, they weren't scared off, and they drew in closer and closer.

Tee looked for an easy way out, and began to run to the area with the least amount of soldiers, only for a hand to grab her arm. She instantly turned and punched the person in the face without thinking, brushing her knuckles before kicking another, causing him to bend over and let out a cry of agony.

One person grabbed her arms in a vice grip, constricting her, and she tried fighting them off, before a needle entered her neck.

The needle against her skin felt cold and wrong - what they were doing was wrong. But no one would stop them.

She froze completely at the feeling she was used to last year, turning to look at who had injected her, and didn't recognise them.

"son of a b-" she whispered as she fell to the floor, losing all feeling as her eyes shut.

A/N

It's me bday hahahshh

- Mel