Chapter Thirty Four

Comenzar desde el principio

I sank onto the table as Tony pulled a hand over his face and began explaining. "We were trying to figure out why the lights had gone out - JARVIS wasn't replying and the lift wasn't working. There was a banging at the door and Amelie started screaming to help her get inside."

My heart plummeted, and I felt bile rising in my throat. "How did she get out of the lift?"

"Your leg, Bucky." Bruce gestured to my right trouser leg as he wiped at the bruising lump on my head. I rolled the trousers up, grimacing as I saw blood still gushing out of the deep cut.

"I have footage, Mr Stark. The cameras continued rolling from your back up power supply." JARVIS announced, and immediately the room in front of us was filled with a hologram-thing showing a group of three men dressed in black stood outside a lift.

"Shit." Peter whispered, sitting on the table next to me, one of his hands holding a clean towel against the cut on my head whilst his other handed me a damp cloth to scrub the blood away.

We watched as Amelie jumped out the lift, waving the hatch that I'd given her at the men, hitting their arms away from her. She quickly discarded the metal square and sprinted towards the stairwell. Before one of us could shout at JARVIS to find the next footage, the image suddenly flicked into the stairwell.

Amelie was jogging up a flight of stairs, then froze before she stumbled back down them. I caught the panic in her eyes as the three men from the lift appeared behind her. We saw her tense, then suddenly she twisted over the rail.

Peters hand pushed harder against my head, his quiet mutterings voicing my opinions. "What the hell is she doing?"

Then she dropped, her body falling out of the frame as she stepped back from the rail. The room fell silent; even Bruce stopped pottering around the medics bag.

The next clip showed her swinging from a railing, and trying to pull herself up. "That girl never fails to amaze," Nat whispered, as she edged closer to the screen. I caught her clutching Tony's hand, before my eyes flicked back to the footage.

Amelie was now sprinting down the stairs before banging against the door, and though the video had no sound, I could feel her screams for help rip through me. Soon her body fell limp, and the men carried her away up the stairs. JARVIS showed a short clip of them running into the back of a plane, and it flying away.

I flinched as I felt Bruce nipping the skin at my leg with a needle, the blood now washed away, and my leg dried. Peters hand slowly lowered, and I felt his fingers wrap around my left arm. I gently held his hand, hoping that something miraculous would happen - any type of clue that could help us.

"My beautiful Avengers, I didn't know you guys were collecting bodies now! I could've shown you my collection!" I snapped my head to the doorway and watched Wade, in his typical suit, carrying three bodies; one over each shoulder, and the third ones feet held in his hand, dragging them into the room behind him.

Steve jumped up, and unloaded the men from him as Peter shakily stood to his feet. "Wade." I watched, hearing the crack in his voice as his soulmate turned quickly, analysing the scene through his mask. "Amelie-" his sobs broke his explanation.

Wade ran to him, his legs flying across the room as he scooped Peter into his arms, and Peters curly mess of hair disappeared into his shoulder.

I couldn't make out their conversation as I focused on the men. One was blatantly dead, and I recognised him from the body Steve tripped over earlier. The knife in his chest stuck out, and I could see several deep cuts spilling blood onto the floor. A second man had blood all over his face, and his body was lying at a twisted angle - it looked like he'd broken his back. He must have been the man that Amelie had pushed over the railings - he must've hit the floor and died on impact.