Chapter Twenty Two

~Bucky's POV~

Waking up in the middle of the night didn't bother me, I was used to it. But when I opened my eyes and saw Amelie lying in my arms, I decided against falling back asleep.

Her back was pressed against my chest, her head lying just below my chin with her hair spread out around the pillows. My arms had wrapped around her as we slept, hugging her closer to me. I lifted my hand slightly, to brush away the hair tickling my cheek, but when I moved my arm she whined slightly, her fingers clutching at my arm next to her on the pillow.

I chuckled slightly, running my hand over her side before holding her hip and pulling her body back to mine so I could hook out legs together, wanting her impossibly closer to me. But as her legs wound around mine I felt an unusual warmth.

I frowned, nudging her leg with mine to be met with a soft sigh, but she did nothing else in response. I lifted the edge of the duvet up, but it was too dark to see anything. I flicked the light on my bedside table on, watching Amelie's head bury deeper into the pillows. A small red mark was on the leg of my pyjamas, and when I looked I could see where it had come from.

"Amelie?" I was met with silence.

"Doll?" She grunted, reaching out to hold my hand. I leant my head closer to her ear, whispering loudly. "Doll, wake up."

Her hand swung around and hit my arm as she grumbled. "Let me sleep James." Her head lifted an inch of the pillow as her hand tapped the clock near her head. "It's two in the morning, what's wrong?"

"Amelie."

She finally turned to face me, her eyes blinking the sleep away. "Are you okay Buck?"

I nodded quickly, but then lifted the duvet up. She looked down, with a puzzled look on her face, before her eyes widened and mouth fell open. "Oh no..." her face whipped up to mine, her hands cupping her cheeks. "I'm so sorry, I..." she stumbled out of bed then stared in horror at the stained sheets.

"Hey," I stood up, wrapping my arms around her, "it's okay. Go have a shower I'll sort it."

She shook her head, "no, you don't have to-"

"Go." I pushed her towards the ensuite as she mumbled, but walked in and a minute later I heard the water running.

I stripped the sheets quickly, shoving the dirty ones and my pyjamas in the washing machine. I jogged up to her rooms and paused in her bathroom. I didn't know what she needed. Reading the descriptions on the packets didn't really help either. Daytime? Nighttime? Light? Heavy? Deciding to grab one of each, and a pair of underwear from her drawer, I skidded back down to my room. I felt a little relief that the shower was still on, meaning I had enough time to put clean sheets on the bed.

As I was fastening the last button at the end of the duvet, Amelie poked her head around the door, her cheeks flushed with the heat of the shower. "I forgot to pick up any clothes..." she trailed off as I collected the bundle of clothes from the end of the bed and passed them to her, her hands fumbling as she adjusted her towel around her chest and slipped back through the door.

She emerged fully a moment later, drowning in my clothes. My heart quickened, pounding against my chest as I took in her appearance. My t-shirt looked like a dress on her, the short sleeves on me reaching just past her elbows.

"Are those long enough?" I grinned, gesturing to the pyjama bottoms which pooled around her feet.

She smiled and lifted her foot slightly. "They're so comfortable I never want to take them off."

"I don't think I want you to ever take them off." I mumbled, kneeling on the floor and rolled them up, though they still sat low on her feet, only her toes poking out at the edge. Her fingers lazily played with my hair, threading through the strands as she twisted them together.