Chapter Three

"No I want to go."

"But it's too soon you need to try and calm down."

"I need to keep busy Steve, it's been one day and if I have to sit locked up here I'm going to go insane!"

After we'd eaten lunch I'd gone to find Steve and Peter to let them know I was going to work. Steve wasn't too happy with my decision, and was trying to convince me against going. And now the room was filling up with people and all I wanted to do was escape.

"Steve please. I have to keep busy. Peter has science and Spider-Man. All I have is my work at the bar. I need a distraction and I need the money. You can come with me if you want. Just let me go."

Tony walked over, "you don't need the money."

I turned around, frowning "yes I do. I have to pay... f-for mum." I breathed deeply. "And to keep the flat, or get a different one. I need to go to work."

Tony walked over, looking straight at me. "You and Peter can live here. Pete's still training to be an Avenger, and you need a room. I'm covering funeral costs and bills. If you want to keep the flat you can but I'm not letting you go back there alone just yet."

I stopped and stared at him, my mouth opening and closing like a fish. "Tony you can't..." he held up a hand.

"I can. If you want to go to work, then fine but you have to ring us when you get there and when you leave. Unless one of us comes with you." I nodded slowly.

"Well, I'm leaving now. Do I still have to ring?" Tony smiled, and ruffled my hair.

I skipped down to my bedroom and found a pair of black jeans and a buttoned shirt on my bed. I grinned and slid them on, but slowly my happiness faded.

I couldn't go alone. I didn't want to be alone. I drummed my fingers against the bed. Maybe I could ask Steve? No, he'd just worry and never let me go again. I couldn't invite them casually either, half of them were assassins and all had training to read people. They would see right through me. I swallowed, my thoughts returning to the mystery man.

Bucky, Steve called him. I sighed, and pulled myself up. I would ask Bucky.

***

~Buckys POV~

A knock on my door pulled me out of my thoughts of Amelie. I opened the door slowly, and there she was, looking at the floor, her lip between her teeth and a finger playing with the ends of her hair that had been pulled up into a ponytail. She looked lost in thought, but as I cleared my throat her head shot up, a blush filling her cheeks.

"Can I help?" I asked. Can I help? Now I'll have to help her. I frowned slightly. I wanted to help her. Her blush darkened and she began replying.

"Um, well I was just going to work. But the others said I had to take someone. Then I convinced them I'd be fine on my own but now... I can't ask them to come with me, they'll think I'm weak and won't let me leave here again, but I need to go to work. I was wondering if... um" man this girl could talk.

I raised my left hand up slowly, interrupting her. "I'll come with you."

Her eyes widened in shock. "You don't have to."

I shook my head, and pulled a jumper on and slid into a pair of trainers by the door. "I'm coming." I said, a bit harsher than I meant to. But she smiled softly and walked with me to the lift at the end of the corridor. We stood in silence and I watched as she fiddled with her shirt.

"I'm Amelie" she said after a moment, as she stared holes into the floor.

I smiled, "Bucky."

She looked up at me, peering through her eyelashes and I kept the small smile on my face, to see one mirrored on hers.