Chapter Five

I'd been at the tower a few days when I began to notice things. Like, properly notice. Every time Bucky walked into the room, or was even mentioned, I felt a little flutter and my stomach would flip. If he caught my eye I would be grinning for the rest of the day, and if he smiled? Damn, that smile could light up a room. I did notice he only seemed to smile when we were alone, and I kept thinking back to the conversations I'd heard about Bucky not being sociable with anybody apart from Steve. I wondered why he was sociable with me. He'd offered to help unpack, although I'd declined. I found it therapeutic to cry when unpacking, and I definitely didn't want to cry in front of him again.

I was in the kitchen attempting to make breakfast when I saw him. He was wearing baggy green jogging bottoms with a grey tshirt, his metal arm glinting as he walked over to me. The room was deserted, but I began to feel suffocated by his presence. How was he managing to make my heart beat faster? Did he know he was having this control over me? He smiled softly when he saw me watching and my face reddened. I spun around, and carried on trying desperately to reach the top shelf.

"Need help?" I heard a smile in his voice but I didn't stop. Trying to save the embarrassment of not being able to reach the back of the cupboard, I stood on tiptoes and swung my arm in the air.

"No I've got this" I said, waving my hand desperately trying to grab the cereal on the top shelf. "Who decided the top shelf was a good place for cereal anyway?"

Bucky chuckled, and I could feel a cool, cold hand rest on my hip. I froze as I felt his body press against mine leaning over me, easily reaching the cereal and passing it to my hand which was still raised in front of me. He didn't release his grip, nor step away as I dropped from tiptoes and felt his strong chest press into my back.

"Thanks" I squeaked, as he slowly withdrew his hand from my hip. I twisted slowly, my cheeks flushed but a small smile on my face.

I was greeted by a large grin, "anytime." He stepped away and set about making a toasted bagel as I made my cereal. We sat in the living room, munching quietly to ourselves. We were the only two in the room, and I looked up to find him looking at me.

"You okay?" I asked, as I pushed my empty bowl back onto the table. He opened his mouth to speak as the lift dinged and Clint and Nat appeared. Nat looked at me, then to Bucky and she furrowed her eyebrows, a confused look flashing over her eyes. I smiled politely, as Clint appeared next to me with a pot of coffee in his hand. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and settled onto the seat, drinking the coffee straight from the pot.

"Hygienic," I mumbled. Nat smirked and sat down on an armchair near us.

"He has his own pot." I looked again, and saw a sticker on the side with CLINT written in thick black letters.

"That explains it," I smiled. Tony walked in through the lift chatting animatedly with Bruce and Peter, just as Steve appeared from the stairwell next to them. Tony skipped into the room, giving us jazz hands.

"Are you ready for the best evening of your lives?" He spun around, looking at each of us individually.

Nat cocked her head, "excuse me?"

Tony grinned and jumped up onto the table as Peter sat down next to Bruce. Steve looked around the room confused, as he lowered himself to sit next to Bucky. "Tony none of us know what you're on about."

Tony pointed at me, "ah but Amelie does." Everyone turned to look at me and I frowned, shaking my head.

"No, Amelie doesn't."

Tony grinned, "yes you do."

"Tony I can do this all day, I have no idea what you're on about."