Chapter 1

The locker next to me slams shut, causing me to jump.

Clarity groans from beside me.

"You okay?" I ask.

My best friend shakes her head. "I've got a splitting headache."

"I told you not to go to that party," I scold.

Clarity smiles. "You know I don't listen to you."

"That's exactly why you should." I turn away from my locker.

"Wait up!" Clarity calls after me. "My legs are still numb!"

I look back at her, shaking my head. That's when my head knocks into someone's chest. I step back to see a tall boy wearing a beanie.

He glares at me with piercing green, almost gray, eyes. The strands of reddish brown hair that peek out from under the beanie cover his forehead. There's a splash of light freckles over the bridge of his nose. His shoulders are broad, and I can practically see his muscles through his camo print sweatshirt.

"S–sorry," I stammer.

His eyes wander from mine down to my chest, causing my cheeks to heat up. "Watch where you're walking," he huffs. He shoves passed me without another word.

Clarity squeals when I turn to her.

"What?" I ask.

She grins. "Do you know who that was?"

"No..."

"That was Peter Grace!"

"Peter who...?"

Clarity's jaw just about drops to the floor. "You've never heard of Peter Grace!?"

I shake my head at her. "I don't listen to gossip, nor do I go to parties."

Clarity stares at me, dumbfounded. "Where have you been? We're two months into school. He's like the only thing people have been talking about."

"Well he seems like an ignorant jerk," I mutter. "Not to mention the fact that he doesn't even give a second thought to where his eyes are going."

"He was totally checking you out!" Clarity exclaims.

I ignore her. "Let's just get to class."

Clarity and I part ways.

I sit down in my usual seat in my math class. Out of the corner of my eye, I see someone sit down next to me. I glance over and almost groan out loud.

Peter has his head turned away from me, but even then I can tell it's him.

Has he always been in this class?

He turns toward me, and I immediately look away.

I hear a snicker from next to me.

"Peter," a boys voice says, "what're you starin' at that girl for?"

I recognize the voice. It's Alex Martin, Clarity's twin brother.

"I ain't starin'," Peter snaps.

"Sure you aren't," Alex sneers. "It's her ass, ain't it?"

I whirl around. "Excuse me!?"

Alex starts laughing.

Peter glares at him. "Would you cut it out?"

Alex laughs even harder.

I stand. "Alex," I snap. "If you don't shut up and stop, I'll call your mom and Clarity."