Clara rolled her eyes at their backs. "You're welcome!" she yelled when they were at a far distance.

Ella slapped her shoulders. "You dolt." A few students in the area glanced between Clara and the guys.

The school knew the Audens' burning hate for the boys. Most of the students empathize with their hate. Who wouldn't? The boys were ruthless, merciless, ill-tempered brats who lack so much in the moral and ethics department. And they weren't the only ones in Nesterville who has the looks but lacks the character. Having affluent families just added to the obnoxiosness. The quote: 'do not judge the book by its cover' is the main motto of most students in the school.

Clara thought back to her brother. Boys were all the same. Her brother was the same. The Four and Kent have the resemblance. They were both rebellious and stubborn; loved to kiss people with their fists; has the temper; impulsive; and scary. People like and hate them at the same time. Students try not to be the one meeting the end of their fists. Getting on their bad sides would not help them survive.

Boys.

As they continued their way, two unfamiliar guys caught Clara's attention. They were standing beside one of the columns surrounding the pavilion. She hadn't seen them before. Well, Nesterville has a lot of students. But even though there were hundreths of thousands of faces, she could tell if one was a student in the school, old or new. There was the feeling of familiarity even when she had seen them once. But the guys looked like they were old for a high school student. They seemed to be in their twenties.

The girls turned to another corner. Visitors could get inside the school. Maybe they were visiting a relative or a friend.

"I hope they're all gathered in the library," Ella said. She and her group was going to have a meeting in the library. She needed to get things straight with them.

Clara slung her arms to her friend's shoulder. "That's okay."

Ella frowned as they continued to head towards the library.

×|×

She jotted down the last sentence of her answer, and passed her paper to the lady in front.

"You can now leave if you want," the teacher said, skimming her paper. "Did you exchange sheets with Glenn? You both gave close answers."

Clara shook her head. She would never ask or offer the guy answers. That was unnecessary for a genius like her. She strolled down the hallway towards the library, happy that she had fnished the test early.

The library was warm. The smell of books and wood comforted Clara. It was a soothing feeling.

The walls of the library and the windows which were covered with heavy curtains looked like it were styled and crafted from the Victorian era. Long tables sat at the center, and were also places in the front. Beanbags were scattered along the sides near the potted plants.

Clara ran to one of the closest beanbag and let herself sink to the soft cushion. She sighed. It felt like heaven.

"Clara?" a familiar voice of a woman called. The sound of wheels rolling on the polished floor squeaked around the empty room. "If that's you, please come over here, and help me with these books."

Clara stayed in the beanbag for quite some time, contemplating whether to help Ms. Perylle or not. She was already on the verge of closing her eyelids. But she stood up anyways and looked for the woman.

"There you are," the lady smiled as she saw Clara. She handed some books to the girl. "I'm so done with students not putting back these things back in place."

Clara pouted getting the books. "I was already comfortable in the beanbag." She checked the side of the books and placed it in their proper shelves.

Ms. Perylle only chuckled and proceeded to push the cart.

There were a lot of books to return. The job was usually assigned to the students working part-time in the library. But Ms. Perylle insisted she does the work since they were busy for the festival.

The sound of a telephone ringing echoed. Ms. Perylle smiled expectantly at Clara.

"Alright," the girl said unhappily. "I'll finish this. You don't need to worry."

"Thank you," the librarian's smile widen. "There's a stack of oreos in the last of my drawer. Just feel free to grab some. I have some KitKats stored in there too," she said and hurried to get the call.

Clara nodded, smiling. Helping has some perks too. After this, she would grab some of the snacks and rest back on the beanbag. Food wasn't allowed in the library but, hey, the librarian herself wanted her to have some.

She pulled the cart behind her. The library was large. Bookshelves were either circular or just straight vertical or horizontal. A steel staircase was attached to each corners of the room, going to the second landing—only a carpeted floor wide enough for five students. The staircases lead to the higher shelves, making it easier for students to get the thing they desired.

After the last book was placed, Clara turned the wheels, running as she pushed the cart. Seeing that the wheels were spinning faster, she removed both feet from the ground to place it at the edge of the cart so she could just glide/ride her way without using her feet to the direction of the librarian's desk. It was fun.

Until the wheels went straight to a table.

She quickly dug her feet to the ground, preventing her collision to the hard wooden piece.

"Man," she breathed, adjusting the cart.

The desk was empty. The call must have been an errand seeing as the librarian was nowhere.

Clara took a couple of snacks and snuggled in a beanbag. She pushed the curtains lightly, and took a peek outside.

She saw someone unexpected. Kent—Kent looking like he was sneaking out of school. She kneeled, two oreos in her mouth. What was Kent doing outside? Her eyes followed his every move. Where was he going?

She pulled her phone, and texted her brother.

Kent didn't took his phone out. He didn't even looked like he heard his phone buzzing or felt it vibrating. He must've muted the device.

She stood up, munching KitKat. What was he doing? Where was he heading?

Picking up the snacks and putting them back inside the drawer, she quickly ran to the doors to head outside the building.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Jan 06, 2021 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

The Valedictorian's Secret जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें