Chapter 22: Not The Only One

After pondering what do for a while, Skeli decided to lock up the doors and windows and leave for the night. He didn't get much sleep, but everyone else didn't seem to know that something was up. The next morning, he woke up at around six in the morning and packed a bag full of things he would probably need. As he was heading out, he was stopped by Ranger. "Where are you going?" she asked. Skeli began to sweat, but he wiped his brow and shrugged. "I'm just going out for a walk," he lied. Ranger nodded sleepily and went back into her room. With that, Skeli dashed out the door and made his way over to the cabin as quickly as possible. 

When he unlocked the door and reopened it, he didn't know what to expect. Would the person inside be waiting to kill him? Was he really dead? What happens now? As he peered in the room, he saw the person was still asleep. "Oh, sweet God, he's really dead?" he thought. He went over and tapped him lightly on the shoulder. "Are you dead?" he asked. The person turned over on his side, so his back was to Skeli. "No, mum, five more minutes..." he murmured. Skeli threw his head back. "Thank God you're alive!" he cried in relief. Instantly, this woke him up. He fell off the bed and stared right at Skeli, his yellow ring locked in a gaze with him. The rest of his face was still shrouded in darkness, thanks to the hood.

"Hey, are you okay?" Skeli asked, putting his hands up in case of attack. The other person scooted back against the wall, still not speaking. "I'm not going to hurt you, as long as you don't hurt me," he said calmly. His houseguest seemed to loosen up. He got up to stand but sat down again. "My name is Skeli, what's yours?" he asked. After seeming to wipe off his face, he finally said "Grey." Skeli nodded. "That's a cool name!" He reached a hand out to help him up, but Grey took it in his left hand, grabbing his wrist. He pulled himself up and seemed to lean on the table. "Thanks, mate," he said, wiping off his jeans. Skeli took to his bag, pulling out several things. "Are you hungry? I've got lots of snacks and drinks." he emptied the beg out. "Do you have water?" Grey asked. Skeli handed him a bottle. Grey reached his hand into his own bag and pulled out a small orange case. Skeli knew exactly what they were: pills.

"I wouldn't take those if I were you," Skeli assured him. "Really nasty stuff, that is." Grey shook his head and took two pills out. Skeli chopped down his arm, dropping the pills. They fell to the floor and shattered. "Hey!" Grey shouted. "I said don't take them!" he retaliated. He snatched the pill case and examines them. "Painkillers? Are you hurt?" he grabbed Grey's bag and took out the other cases. "This is all cold and flu stuff!" he turned to Grey. "Are you alright, man?" Grey stayed silent, watching him. Skeli groaned. "Listen to me, we're not going to go very far if you don't help me out here." Grey shrugged. "Yeah, I'm a little sick." Skeli held up the painkillers. "I-" Grey began. Skeli cut him off. "Be honest, now," he warned. "Okay, I hurt my ankle a few days ago, and I was trying to take my mind off it." He grabbed the case and put it back in his bag. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be going." Skeli slammed the door shut.

"I can't let you go out there in this condition, you're staying with me," he said firmly. "Come on! This can't be your house!" he complained. Skeli nodded. "No, it's not. But I can't take you home because my friends will surely arrest you." Grey sat back on the bed. "What do you suggest we do, then?" he asked. Skeli crossed his arms. "You can start by taking your hood off," he suggested. Grey felt the end of his hood. "Alright, but don't get weirded out," he said. He pulled back his hood and put his hand back in his pocket. Skeli got a full look at his face. "Whoa," was all he could say. His face was a light silver, and his entire head looked rough textured. His left eye was a deep black pit, with the pale ring in the center, focusing in on him. His right eye was covered by a thick black eyepatch, and the space going across it was a line of stitching. He looked as if he had drawn on the eyebrow over his good eye.

"There, are you happy?" he asked. Skeli wasn't satisfied. "Show me your hand," he insisted. Grey rolled his eye and held up his left hand. He had a square palm, with five fingers separating at each join. "You're a skeleton!" Skeli cried. "I thought I was the only one!" Grey put his hand down. "I thought so too, nice to know someone familiar," he replied. Skeli turned to his right arm, the one he kept down. "What about your right hand?" he asked. Grey smirked and shook his head. "Don't have one," he said, holding up his arm. On the end of it, partly hidden by his sleeve, was a sharp metal hook. It looked slightly beat up at the end, but it looked like Grey often took care of it. "Oh, you're a pirate?" Skeli asked. Grey put his hand up to Skeli's mouth. "We don't say the p-word, mate," Skeli pulled his hand away. "Why not?" he asked. Grey looked down and seemed to sulk. "It's mean..." he replied.