Chapter Five

Unfortunately for Theo he seemed to be seeing Zoë more often, whether it was in the street or in a restaurant. Every time they caught eyes they would share a look of hatred. But then Theo's stomach would fill up with a puddle of guilt and he'd look away quickly.

What he also kept seeing was his picture with Ansel. On the covers of magazines, on TV talk shows... He felt really bad for Shai as she had probably saw it and probably knew that he had been cheating on her. It also explained how she seemed to be the only thing he wasn't seeing.

It was now the tenth of November, and yet again Theo bumped into Zoë, at the Ferris wheel they had filmed at for Divergent. Theo had wanted to go visit the place, get all the stress out his mind, and then...

"Not you." They both said in unison.

Silence.

"Why the hell are we always around each other?" Theo asked.

"I don't know. Why have you been avoiding Shailene? You do know it's her birthday in 5 days, right?" Zoë remarked.

Theo froze. Shai's birthday was in 5 days?

He had to see her.

He couldn't forget about this special day.

Zoë smirked. "I knew you forgot."

Theo narrowed his eyes. "Shut up."

"You shut up!"

"Oh no, are we starting one of those little kid arguments?"

Zoë slapped Theo's face.

"Ow..." Theo winced, grabbing his cheek.

"Aw, don't cry!" Zoë mocked. "How old are you, three?"

"No, I'm Four."

The two stared at each other for a long time, before they both burst out laughing.

Zoë wiped a tear from her eye.

"Now I'm crying." She grinned.

Theo raised his eyebrows.

"Aren't we supposed to hate each other or something?"

Zoë shook her head.

"I don't think we're very good at that."

They shared an awkward but friendly hug.

*****

4 DAYS LATER

Theo woke up, sweating.

Damn, he thought angrily, I forgot again!

He immediately rushed out of bed, got changed and set off to buy Shai a birthday present. He didn't want to seem like a jerk and keep avoiding her.

He looked in a few jewellery shops, looking for something great. He passed gold, silver, bronze, before noticing something.

It was a silver choker, with rubies and diamonds hanging from it. Theo thought it was breathtaking. He took it up to the counter.

"How much?" He asked the jeweller.

"That'll be $700."

Theo's eyes practically rolled out his head. $700?! He'd only brought $50! Mental note to self, he thought, get her flowers next time.

"I'll pay for it."

Theo swung around, looking for the source of the voice.

Nat Wolff stood there in a leather jacket, grinning.