Chapter 3

It had been days since the beginning of the display, and now Riley was finally in her space. It almost looked like the slice on her neck from where her head had been severed was fading, but it was surely some sort of makeup or something else used to hied the gruesome wound from the public. This was it. The museum would open the Crawler exhibit in just a few minutes now, and everyone would see her and learn of the glorious species that was the Crawlers.

Maybe it sounds strange to refer to the creatures that nearly wiped out the human race as glorious, but from a biological standpoint, they were truly amazing. Something able to survive such environments and situations is usually only seen in microscopic life, such as Tardigrades, but even they have their limits, and even they cannot regrow lost limbs.

Perhaps, like tardigrades, Crawlers could have been killed with strong enough measures. But even so, those measures could likely only be reached in a controlled environment with the right equipment that people back then couldn't have had. As far as I was concerned, Crawlers were nearly as unkillable as those microscopic beings.

I didn't bother listen to the speech outside this room that the museum owner was giving to the large crowd. It didn't quite matter to me, whatever he was saying was likely a carbon copy of what he would have said at any other exhibit's grand opening. I decided to focus on the untouched room, for the few more moments it would remain so.

I looked up at Riley again. Her case was on the farthest wall, a thick pane of glass would hopefully keep things secure, as even if someone was shoved through the crowd and against this glass, it could cause something dire to happen. The way she was posed, it was quite unnerving. Her human body was held at a resting position, with her arms slightly oit at her sides, and her fingers curled as if she was posed to strike. She was suspended by her own Crawler legs, four supporting her as they were fastened to the ground, with the final two stretched out in a wide attack stance. Her jaw was slightly open, just enough to show her fangs.

I only realized the space I occupied had been opened up when the mumering of the crowd grew louder behind me. They flocked through the large room, admiring the cases of fossils and relics, the several large tables that broke up the floorspace were crowded from all angles. Many came up to see her. The plaque in front of her explained much of a Crawler's physical attributes meant, including the pair of small Crawler legs at her hips for communicating, the visible divot in the palms of her Crawler legs that secreted venom, and even how their second ribcage protected their heart from bullets and other Crawlers.

If only these people knew she was real, and that she was not just a replica, many likely thought she was simply a statue or mannequin, but if we told them, there would be too much trouble. I knew that if she wasn't used in this exhibit, her body would likely have been used to disect, and I simply could not allow that.

I looked at Riley from over the crowd as owas forced back by the excited peolle with cameras. Did the bright lights here hurt her eyes? Could she still feel, even though she was beheaded? She obviously couldn't think or feel in the tipical sense, but how much of her body's functions still worked after all this time? Did the people here set off lingering instincts in her mind, the smell of them awakening hunger that had been dormant for centuries, but could not be acted upon, as her brain had no control of her detached body?

I thought to myself, if the tables were turned and she was alive when we put her in there, how would she feel about being held in that case for people to see? Would she resent it, and everyone who brought it upon her? Crawlers were usually loners, but she had traveled with people for so long, that would she really hate it so? I pictired myself in that position, being an attraction was not something I coumd see many people enjoying, and one such as this...well, it was a good thing she was dead, as much of a tragedy as it was.

Despite my reasoning, and all the facts proving the answers to me, these questions wouldn't leave me. I knew I  the back of my mind I would never get true answers from the source, and all I had were educated guesses and assumptions. Maybe I would be able to ask Raven for her own thoughts on the matter.

Raven had finally woken up, I guess it just took her body a while to return from the frozen state. As of now though, she seemed to be trying to decieve us into thinking she was human. Always hiding her face, keeping her Crawler legs retracted at all times, and making sure we couldn't see her back. I couldn't blame her behaviour.

After all, humans would do whatever they could to kill Crawlers back then if push came to shove, she knew she couldn't escape the building, and instead of acting aggressively, she chose to go a different route, a harmless one.

It was really quite impressive.

○ ○ ○

A tap on my shoulder jolted me from my thoughts, it was the janitor, "Hey man. Closing time."

I shook my head and looked around the exhibit, everyone had finally left. It was a very busy all day, everyone was determined to get in on this first day for some reason. I guess I understood the appeal of being there for the opening, but the exhibit was going to be here any other day now. Security had to step in twice to keep people behind the ropes around each case, which scared me enough to remain posted beside Riley's case, just incase anything were to happen.

I nodded to the janitor as I turned to leave. This was a stressful day, and I was quite looking forward to getting home.