Chapter 5

It's been a month since my mom told me to forget the dumb secrets she's hiding, but truthfully, it was all I could think of.

I walk into school, seeing everyone hanging out with the same exact people as always. Emi was nowhere to be found.

I seen everyone turn around and seeing what was behind me.

I turned around and seen a guy walking through the doors, looked to be new around here.

There hasn't been a single new kid joining in the middle of the school year... where was he from?

I heard footsteps running behind me. I turned around and seen Emi coming behind me. "Nats! That's the new kid."

"Yeah..? I can see that. You know more than that?"

"I heard his name is Rein, and he's from Kinland."

Kinland? I know that's a city not too far away from here. Why did he come here?

He then approached me and began talking. "You a freshman?"

I nodded.

"Can you help me around? I'm new to Rhylville."

"Um, sure. I'm-"

"Natsuki Suya. I've heard of you."

What.

"How did-?"

"Not important," he brought out his schedule. "Have any of these classes with me?"

I took a look at it, and seen that he had all his classes with me. This will be fun...

"Yeah, we can head to first period together.." I turned around and headed to my class.

"Nats, what did he say?"

"Hard to explain... we should get to class."

She nodded and followed me and Rein.

I turned back and tried to observe Rein. He had fluffy teal hair with a purple-blue hue to his eyes. He was pretty tall, but I was the same height, and I knew I was tall.

I walked into my first class for the day and sat in my usual seat. Rein stood there, and just found a seat next to me that happen to be empty.

After a few minutes, the teacher walked in. "It seems we have a new student."

Everyone immediately turned towards Rein.

Now that I think about it, it makes sense how everyone would be interested in him, he's from outside Rhylville. There aren't many people like that here, if any.

"Would you please introduce yourself to the class?"

He stood up. "My name is Rein and I'm from Kinland." Was all he said.

The teacher then began speaking. "Now, make sure you all finish your worksheet, it will be due tomorrow, with the exception of Rein."

I sat back and pulled my phone out, since I was already done.

I began to look up info on Kinland.

Kinland, hmm. It seems they had a very well high school, with honorable students? I tapped the link. John... Seraphina... Kami..?! My mom went here? And what are these numbers on here? It says John is 8.9? Seraphina is 8.0, and 'Kami' is 9.7? What does this mean.

"Whatcha doin?" I heard Rein's voice behind me. He was watching over my shoulder.

"Um, nothing..!"

"Were you looking up Kinland?"

"Yes..." I mumbled.

"Yeah, my parents couldn't get me into their prestigious school. They look at levels mostly."

"Levels?"

"You don't know?"

I shook my head. "Wait, your last name is Suya.. my dad knew your mom."

"Your dad?"

"His name is Kano, he and your mom went to the same school. He talks about her and how she was the role model of the school even though..." he trailed off.

"Even though what?"

"Nothing." He just looked at me. "If your mom isn't telling you something about this, there has to be a reason. My dad said she was bad at keeping her biggest secret, even though she hid it from the whole school for over two years."

She's been keeping this one secret though from me for my whole life...

"Look, there's reasons behind it, and I'm sure you will find out soon."

School ends and I head out to my mom's car. I see her and I stop suddenly. I hear footsteps and I see Rein running towards a car, and in there say a blonde man.

He got out of his car and greeted Rein.

"Hey dad.." Rein stopped and faced his dad.

"Hey Rein, How was your first day with a bunch of cripples?"

"Dad, we agreed to never call them that while we lived here."

I then seen my mom had noticed I was watching something and turned to look at what I was looking at.

"Nats! Come on, let's get home!" She called nervously.

I seen Rein's dad turn and face mom. "Kami?"

"Oh," she instantly got anxious. "Hey Kano..."

"You live here now?"

"Have been for the past fifteen years.."

"My son just had some trouble getting into Kinland High, so I figured I'd bring him here."

"Knowing this city has no clue about abilities?"

"Well," he began in a hushed whisper. "Rein's level isn't so high, he could do damage to this school, but the worse he could do is break down a few walls."

"He seems pretty fast, but what's his ability?"

"Combination of strength and electricity."

"So similar to Remi?"

"Yeah, he kind of took after his mom's ability."

"Yep, so did Nats.."

Excuse me... WHAT!?

"And you haven't told her?"

Mom shook her head.

"You know she will eventually find out because of passive abilities."

"Yeah, it's already starting to show.. she can hear full conversations far from her as if they were right next to her."

"You think she's listening now?"

My mom froze. "Shit, I didn't think of that..."

"You might have to tell her soon. Or, ya know.. now."

I just stood there. Abilities..? So like super powers? And I have the same one as mom!? This is the big secret she hasn't told me! And she waits this long... I could feel tears forming in my eyes. After hearing that, and mom knowing that I probably did hear it.. I can't face her, not right now.

I turned and faced the opposite direction away from the school and my mom's car, and just ran.

I ran and ran, and I heard a loud call.

"Natsuki!" My mom tried to call, but it was so far away that it was faint.

I just continued running, and holding back my tears as I eventually encountered a forest. I ran deep in there and stopped and sat at the roots of a tree.