Chapter 2

"I can hear you up there." I stood up, glaring.

They looked at each other in confusion. "How? We talked to silently even your friend in front of you couldn't hear."

Emi turned to me. "Yeah, I didn't hear them at all, I knew they were whispering, but it wasn't loud enough to be audible."

I just stared.

"Does she have super hearing or something."

"It doesn't matter, I heard it and I don't appreciate that."

The looked at each other and begun whispering again. "What's wrong with her?"

"I think she's gone insane."

"What if she really did hear us?"

"Why should we care? We didn't say anything wrong."

I sat back down and sighed. Typically high school. Gossip, drama, secrets. It never ends. The moment you think you found the right friends, next thing you know you're caught up in some bullshit drama.

"Hey Nats?"

I looked up at Emi. "Hm?"

"Where did you go to school before this?"

"The middle school here in Rhylville." I sighed. "I never left Rhylville, and I want to know what it's like out there in the world."

Emi just looked at me. "Yeah, me either, but I'm perfectly fine with my life."

"But here's my situation:" I sat up and leaned forward. "I have this feeling my mom is hiding something. When I ask about her childhood, she becomes very vague."

"That is strange."

"Something isn't right, and I want to find out."

"Maybe your mom has a reason for that."

"Like what? What kind of reason might there be..."

"To protect you?"

"From what?"

"I don't know."

I sighed. "I should try and sneak out."

"Nats, that's not a good idea."

"Why? What's the worst that could happen?"

She sighed. "You could get in trouble."

I laughed. "Me? In trouble? My mom wouldn't punish me, she's too much like a little kid to punish me."

Emi just looked at me. "If you say so..." she then turned around, then suddenly turned right back towards me quick. "Oh yeah, I have an idea."

"And that is?"

"We should make a webcomic!"

"Hm." I thought about it.

"Think about it! You can draw it, I'll write it, we'll be a great duo!"

"But what could it be about?"

"Something funny, I was thinking."

"We can come up with it later, for now I'm gonna start drawing some character ideas."

After school ends, I walk outside and see my mom standing there, waving and... jumping up and down. Mom... I facepalm. Embarrassing.

I walk up to her. "Hey mom.." I said.

She swooped in for a hug and I felt like I was being squeezed way too hard.

"Make any friends?"

"Actually, mom, yes."

"Tell me all about it!" She says as she gets in the car. "In fact, invite her over!"

I stepped back. What!? Is she a lunatic? What kind of mother is she?! "Um, I don't know if she could..?"

"I can!"

I jumped forward from being startled. "Emi, jeez, you scared me to death."

She and my mom laughed.

"Good afternoon Mrs....?"

"Just call me Mrs. Kami." She smiled gleefully.

I facepalmed. I tend to forget her name is actually Kami, I wouldn't be surprised if someone mispronounced it.

I got in the front seat while Emi got in the back.

I slid down and sighed.

"So how was your day?"

"Fine, until you embarrassed me." I turned towards the window, staring outside.

She laughed. "And how about you..?"

"My name is Emi, and it was okay. Thought it was funny when Nats was being hit on."

I went wide eyed. And she just had to say that...

My mom laughed. "What did I tell you?"

I'm sure she turned towards me and grinned, but I didn't look at her.

"Anything else happen?"

"Apparently, Nats was able to hear a conversation from across the room, when the ones speaking were whispering and even I hadn't heard."

I turned towards mom. I knew she was going to have some sort of reaction.

And she did. She had suddenly got nervous, as by the look on her face. "Is this true?"

"Yeah, so what?"

I heard a loud gulp.

"Come on mom, what could be the issue?"

"Um, nothing, it's fine."

It sure doesn't sound fine, something's up..

I turned back towards the window and continued to stare outside. "So what's for dinner tonight?" I asked, without turning my head.

"Your father and I were thinking of going out somewhere, like Pizza House."

"Sounds good."

"Would you like to come, Emi?" Mom asked.

"Sure, I'll just text my mom and let her know."

"Is your mom usually okay with this kind of stuff."

"Yeah, she's usually very carefree, just wants me to let her know how long I'll be gone, or when I'm coming back. Don't really care what I do."

"Ah." My mom seemed interested. "My parents were like that too, but I didn't really need to update them, just really tell them when I'm leaving and when I'm coming back.. when I stayed with them."

I turned towards her. "What do you mean 'stayed with them'?"

"Oh, I went to boarding schools my whole life, only time I really spent with them was between primary and middle school, and then between middle and high school. Then for some time after I graduated until I found an apartment to stay at."

"So where did you go to school? There aren't any boarding schools around here.." I tried to pry some information out of her.

"It's not important, the past is the past and the time is now so let's just go and stick to the present."

Now she's just making no sense...

"Mom, seriously?"

"What?"

"That makes no sense."

"Does it matter?"

"Yes! We're not speaking jibberish here."

"Njsodg wkcewkf."

I facepalmed, and I heard her snicker.

"Don't change the subject!"

"Look, Nats, it's not a big deal, just forget about it."

I turned back and faced out the window again.

It has to be a big deal, or she wouldn't be acting like that over something so small. I need to get to the bottom of this..