George's Theory

He appeared for only a split second. Then he was gone, disappearing into a nearby block. However, the tunnel George and Lucy had come through had collapsed completely. Now, they were trapped underground, deep in an unfamiliar mine with Notch's brother after them. Things were not looking up.

*          *          *          *          *

Andrew trudged through the forest, deep in thought. He was with his father, Herobrine.  "Don't think too much about George," said Herobrine. "I know you're thinking of him, but don't let him occupy your mind." Andrew remained silent, looking down at the snow. Then he looked up for a brief second. Just in time to see a tall, dark figure with glowing purple eyes a few blocks away. Then the figure vanished, leaving behind dissipating purple particles.

"Crap! Andrew, run!"

That was the last Andrew had seen of his father.

Ten years ago.

*          *          *          *          *

George and Lucy were hopelessly lost in the dark tunnels of the mysterious mines. It was now clear that William was lost forever.

"Lucy, keep on running. There must be a way out of here!" George stopped as the end of the tunnel loomed ahead. "Oh. Dead end. Go back"

Just as George and Lucy turn back, the tunnel walls suddenly close, leaving them in pitch-black darkness, trapped between two thick walls of solid stone.

*          *          *          *          *

"He's missing. We have to find him. I always knew this would happen!" Jack was no longer holding his pickaxe. He had long since broken every available tool on the blocks of ore in the cave. Still, as hundreds of blocks of ore were mined from the walls, still more lurked underneath. No longer did anyone dare to break another block, for fear of a hidden trap which could kill them all. Now, Jack, ten miners and five guards stood in the cave.

"Alright. Listen up. George, our safety officer guy, has gone missing. Teams have already searched this whole entire mine inside out, and George, Lucy and Clint are missing. There is something sinister down in this mine which wants to kill us."

"Jack? They've found something. Three miners had appeared at the entrance. Apparently something had been overlooked. Two redstone torches have been found in sector fourteen. When we found them, they were unlit. They are acting as inverters for something. But as soon as we enter the room, they light up. It's as if they're hiding something."

Jack's face was impassive. He paused for a second, glanced around the massive cave, then looked at the newcomers. "Take us there."

Jack, thirteen miners and five guards arrived at the suspicious room. As expected, the redstone torches lit up as soon as the group approached, swords drawn.

"This is what we're looking for," said Jack, sheathing his glowing iron sword and taking out his pickaxe. "I swear, there is something in these walls." Jack swung his pickaxe at the stone blocks between the dimly glowing redstone torches. However strong stone was, it was no match for a pickaxe. The blocks cracked and smashed apart, revealing a pair of sticky pistons set into the floor and ceiling, and a sinister tunnel behind it ready to gulp down the small group of terrified miners.

*          *          *          *          *

"Remember how I said I didn't believe in fairy tales?" said George. "But I do believe in ghosts."

"So you think we saw a ghost back there?" asked Lucy. "His eyes were white and glowing! And it was like he could teleport!"

"Yes. He is Herobrine, my father. He was killed by an enderman ten years ago." George gazed at the ground as if he could actually see it. "I arrived too late. Andrew was there too. We saw him die. Maybe that's why he wants revenge on us."

"Because you didn't help him? That sounds a little too..." Lucy hesitated or a moment. "Far-fetched."

"Maybe."

*          *          *          *          *

Andrew met George on the way home. Well, not exactly home. He was simply running away from the enderman. Not that it would help.

"George! Herobrine's getting attacked by an enderman! The same one that destroyed the gunship!"

"What? An enderman? Let's go!" George handed over a sword to Andrew. "Watch my back okay?"

It was too late when they arrived.

All that was left was a dark figure with a white band around its head.

Standing over a figure on the ground.

Then it was gone.

*          *          *          *          *

Nineteen people were standing in front of a narrow tunnel one block wide and two blocks tall. This was no doubt where George, William and Lucy went. As far as anyone knew, this was built by Herobrine.

"Guards, you will be accompanied by five miners into this tunnel. Your task is to is George, and get him out of here. This mine is being evacuated. We're already packing up our stuff and moving out. Once you find him, meet us on the surface. You've got one hour. Get to it."

Ten figures walked into the dark tunnel, swords and bows at the ready.

Five miners entered the room. "Guys? There's been a breakthrough. A tunnel has just been opened into a mass mob spawner room containing zombie, skeleton, creeper and cave spider spawners. We need to block up that tunnel and evacuate the entire mine."

"Alright then. We're on the way out ourselves. Let's go head off that invasion."

Jack and thirteen miners emerged into the cavern leading to the surface. Only that it was half-filled with desperate miners and guards fending off monsters rapidly emerging from a tunnel half-blocked by cobblestone.

"What the hell? This is supposed to be the way out! Where did the passage to the surface go? How can this be created here?" Jack was angry. "Herobrine better had not done this."

No sooner had Jack said his name, the cavern shook with an angry tremor.

"Change of plan!" shouted Jack above the chaos. "I will take three miners and look for another way out. Repel these mobs until we return!"