He nodded, looking like he was about to say something before deciding against it. He went to the bar, and began wiping the already spotless counter.

I went to the other side of it, handing him some money. "What's this for?" He asked.

"Last night," I said, "For the drinks."

He took the money from me, fingers brushing against mine. I pulled my hand away. And went to go.

"Julie," he said, making me pause mid-step. He came in front of me again, and took my hand. I pulled away. "Please tell me you didn't mean it."

"Didn't mean what?"

"About us," he said, eyes searing into mine. "That we couldn't be anything."

"Nicolás," I said, reaching my hand up a touching his cheek. He leant into my hand, holding it there with his own. "You know we couldn't."

He was the one to pull away, face stony. It was like a slap in the face.

I turned before he could see my façade fall.

"Oh, sorry," I said as I almost bumped into the girl he'd been with.

As I was walking away, I heard Nicolás telling her to leave.

I could feel his stare on my back, angry and hurt.

☼  ☼ ☼

Nicolás having drinks with the girls was becoming a regular thing. I sat a distance away, trying not to let myself feel anything as Brenda flirted with Nicolás... and he flirted back.

"Have you ever been to London?" She asked, putting her red hair over one shoulder, partially exposing her ample bust.

"I haven't," he said, eyes on her's.

She lent in. "Would you?"

He came closer to her, too, voice low as he said, "I might, for you."

I swallowed a surge of bile.

"Where's all the alcohol gone?" Clara asked, looking at the empty bottles surrounding them. "Julie!"

I pretended to only just realise I was in their company. "Yes?"

She shook an empty wine bottle in my direction. I took the hint. I sighed, exasperated, as I got up and went over to the bar. Like their little get togethers, it was becoming a regular thing for me to have to practically wait on them.

I retrieved what I knew they wanted and went to give the bottles to them.

"Julie," Elise said as I placed them down by their feet. She patted the empty space beside her, right opposite Nicolás and Brenda. "Sit with us."

"I don't think so," I said, preparing to leave them, get my stuff and go back inside.

"Come on," Elise begged. "It'll be fun."

I couldn't be bothered arguing, so I sat down.

"How are you and Tim, Julie?" Clara asked. Out of all the things she'd probably been told about me and that was the thing she remembered or wanted to talk about.

We were talking independently, Brenda and Nicolás continuing their flirting, but I could tell he was listening in on their conversation.