The Aftermath of a First Date ('Mature' Chapter)

Mature for use of Expletive
——————————-

Monday 15nd October, 1942 (21:32)

57 Eversleigh Road, Finchley, NW London

Lucy stormed past the younger of her brothers, giving him just enough time to step out of the doorway.
"Lucy! You're early! How was it-" Susan asked innocently over her book.
Lucy stopped dead in her tracks and burst into tears. Her older sister instinctively began to rise from her seat but was stopped by Lucy's outburst.
"Shut up, Susan!" She screamed through rapidly appearing tears before turning on her heel, running up the stairs and slamming her bedroom door.

Susan rose the rest of the way to her feet and placed her book down, a look of both confusion and worry on her face.
"I'm going to check she's okay..." she declared uncertainly to her baffled brother.

"Su," He started with equalled uncertainty.
"I love you and as does Lu. And I know you're Gentle and usually the best at these things, especially as it must be something to do with that boy she was out with, but something tells me you may not be the best person to talk to her at this moment in time..."

"Yes. Well, I can see that, Edmund. But Peter isn't home yet and we can't just leave her like that, can we?" She replied quickly, beginning to seem rather flustered.

"Sister mine, I feel rather hurt at the inclination that I may not be able to handle such situation." Edmund slid back into Narnian tongue, pulling a chair back gracefully and flicking the kettle on. "Rest both yourself and your mind and let me deal with this." He told her, placing a kiss of her forehead and turning to the door.

"Ed, you're the bes-"

"Just send Peter up as soon as he steps through that door." He told her desperately. Content with her small laugh, he headed up the stairs and knocked gently.
Aslan, help me, he begged silently.

"Go away!"

"You know I can't do that." He called back.

"Edmund?"

"The one and only."
His reply was met with silence, in which he took as permission to enter. Opening the door slowly, he saw Lucy sprawled across the bed on her stomach, shuddering with sobs.
"Lucy, what's up? This isn't like you!"
He sat beside her, placing a hand in her back.

"It's- he- Oh, Edmund he didn't even like me!" She wailed into her pillow.

"Of course he did, Lu! Why would he have asked you there if he didn't like you?"
Her sobs seized moments later with a sigh. She turned her face towards him.
"That's the thing. He did it- well he tried to get close to me to get close to- to Susan." She finished with another sigh, her eyes dropping to the floor.

"Oh, Lu. Come on, up you get, Miss Valiant." She smiled slightly and sat up. He wrapped an arm around her and pulled her towards him, her head on his shoulder.
"That would explain Susan getting the blow this time?"

She nodded against his shoulder and sniffled. "I'll have to apologise."

"You probably will." He agreed, giving her a squeeze. "But don't let this bother you, Lu. He was much too old anyway, I never liked him." He admitted with a mock-annoyed headshake.

"But I liked him." She told him, pulling away to face him.

Edmund stayed quiet a moment, wiping her stray tears with his thumb, taking a moment to formulate a reply. Come on, Peter!
"Look, Lucy. He was a git, quite clearly. And he'll never be good enough for neither our Queens, whether they be 16 or 106. Peter and I will ensure he gets his just desserts, don't you worry." He replied with certainty, tucking the loose strands of her braids back in.