[Chapter Thirty-Four] Liam

Start from the beginning

"Do you guys like lasagna?" Addison asked and Nina nodded

"Addison, would you check on dinner?" Lalan asked and I went into the kitchen with Addie and she opened the stove and checked on the two pans and put some bread Lalan had made earlier in there to too cook.

"Dinner should be done in about fifteen minutes." Addie went out to tell them and I put the middle extension in the table to fit Eight before setting the table while she made two bowls of Salad and set it on the table.

She was quiet again.

When the timer went off she pulled dinner out and cut up the bread, putting it on a plate in the middle of the table.

"Dinner." She called and everyone came silently into the kitchen. Lalan and Ethan sat at the heads of the table, Karen sat beside Lalan, Nina beside her and Asher next to Nina.

On the other side Kalila sat beside Lalan and Addie sat in front of Nina leaving one seat for me.

We passed the Salad and when we held hands for prayer before dinner, it thankfully didn't make Nina or Karen look uncomfortable.

Once grace was said Nina and Addie just stared at each other for a while. Neither of them knew what to say.

"So Karen, where are you guys from?" Lalan asked her nicely.  

"Couple towns over from you guys, actually." She took a bite of salad.

"What grade are you in Nina?" Addie asked her and she looked at her startled, eyes wide

"Uh, I'm just finishing my Senior year." She told her

"Any idea of where you wanted to go to college?" Addie asked

"I've applied to some, I haven't heard back yet though. I decided to wait for where I got accepted so I didn't get my hopes up."

"What do you like to do?" Addie and Nina started to look a bit more comfortable with each other.

"I like horses and writing. I want to be a vet."

"I have a horse." She looked around the table to see empty plates. "Excuse me." she smiled at Nina who returned it, I was actually very proud of her for how well she was handling this.

She got up and served Lasagna to everyone before taking her seat again, they talked about nothing too important through dinner so I decided to turn my conversation to the guys.

"How have you been?" Asher asked

"As good as I can be, works tough but I love it. Have you decided what you're going to do?" I asked him and he nodded

"I got a job at a bar that a friends' dad owns, I decided that I didn't want to open a business yet, I'm not ready so I'm trying to work to figure out what kind of business I'll want."

"You should open a decent bar around there." I suggested there wasn't anything really special or a good place for the younger generation, all the bars were where our parents and grandparents would go.

"Not a bad idea." He seemed to think it over, since we didn't have anything appealing to people our age it would be good business to open one someday. "I can't wait for you to get home man, I've missed hanging out with you." he told me

"Same, sorry I was being such a dick before." I told him and he shrugged

"I'm used to you being an idiot; we've been best friends for years." I chuckled; I've missed hanging out with him a lot. Even when I was dating Kalila we didn't have this problem, he was okay with it.

I looked at her and then Addie; it feels like another life ago that her and I were together.

After dinner Addie went outside with Nina and I went up to hang out with Asher for a bit.

"I'm glad that you're back. I didn't like the person you were turning into." I flopped down onto his bed

"Me neither, I was being an idiot and I'm surprised you didn't deck me instead."

"I thought about it." he admitted

"Yeah, I thought about knocking my head into a wall a few times." I told him and he laughed before he got serious again

"Well I'm glad you're happy. I know that you and Kalila were together a long time and I know you loved her but not like you love Addie now. She needs that and so do you." he told me and I nodded

"It is different. I wish you would find someone that you loved as much as I love her. You deserve a good girl and a family and more than the girls you've been with." I nudged him and he shrugged

"It will happen one day." It bothered him more than he let on but if he didn't want to talk about it right now then I wouldn't push it.

It was nice to have some guy time. Don't get me wrong, I love being with Addie but it was nice to just relax and joke around with my best friend.