Piano Confessions

Start from the beginning

But if we say yes, my father will believe that there really is something between Ayaan and I and what he does after that is a thought I’m not willing to have.

“Abu, can I have a second to speak with Ayaan and Safiyana?” Mizan Bhai steps in.

“Why Mizan?”

“I spoke to Safiyana about something that I think I need to bring up again. Please Abu.”

“Go ahead kids,” he tells us. I walk out with the two men and Mizan takes us out to the porch. Everyone who left the room earlier is sitting in the kitchen and only Bhabhi sees us walking by but she stays quiet.

Once we’re outside, Bhai closes the door and turns to us with his arms crossed over his chest. “Tell me the truth guys, is there something going on?”

“Bhai, give us a second,” I snap, and walk down the steps and far enough so my brother can’t hear. Ayaan realizes a second later he should follow and quickly walks over to me.

“I don’t know what to do.”

“That’s great Saf. I’ve got a couple ideas though, deny, deny, deny!” he huffs exasperatedly.

“Look, if we say no, Omar and Zinat will never get to be together. On top of that, Alia’s going to blow some more shit into my dad’s face. The only option we have is to say yes,” I say quietly, keeping my eyes on the floor.

“Safiyana, you do realize what happens if we say yes. We will end up married!” he throws his hands in the air.

“I understand that. But I would do anything for my brothers and I’m sorry you got dragged into this but for his happiness I’m willing to pretend to be in love with someone let alone get married.”

“I can’t believe this. This is just brilliant. Saf, my parents will actually get us married! My mom would jump at the opportunity. Listen to yourself,” he runs a hand through his hair nervously.

“Well I’m willing to do it. As soon as a decent amount of time has passed, we get a divorce,” I reason.

“Girls in our culture don’t have lives after divorce. Your life will be ruined,” he pleads with me to understand.

“Guys!” Bhai calls to us.

“One minute Bhai! I know Ayaan. But if I don’t, there’ll be two lives ruined. If you are willing to help me with this, I’ll be okay. We may not even get to the wedding Ayaan. All we have to do is stall.”

“I seriously can’t believe this. I’m going bloody mental,” he laughs bitterly.

“Is that a yes?” I ask, not being able to stop that little shred of hope slipping through.

“I don’t even know. We’ll play it by ear,” he replies before walking back to my brother.

“Ya Allah, thank you,” I whisper to myself before joining the boys inside.

Mizan Bhai goes and talks to Abu while we wait outside with Bhabhi and the parents. Bhabhi puts a hand on my arm when I start tapping my foot in panic.

“Go in guys,” Omar says once everyone leaves the room. His eyes are lighter, relief is evident on his face and I know he and Zinat will be okay.

“Safiyana, Ayaan, Mizan told me. How long?” Abu is sitting on a sofa now. Ayaan and I take the two across from him.

“How long what Abu?”

“How long has this been going on?” he asks uncomfortably.

“Abu nothing is going on! We got paired up for an assignment in school and it just happened. I haven’t done anything you would be disappointed of.”